Rainier via Emmons -- July 27-29

TheBootfitter

Our third just backed out due to a family situation. My current partner is a newbie with extensive backpacking experience but limited snow/ice/glacier experience. We're heading out this weekend (July 14-15) for a shakedown/training trip for him to learn and review basic glacier travel skills. I will not allow the climb to happen unless we are able to find a third partner. (I.e. I have no interest in being at the sharp end of a rope with only a noob to back me up.)

We are looking for a climber with at least a moderate amount of experience who is solid with glacier travel skills. If you are able to join us on the shakedown trip -- even better! (We'll leave Saturday afternoon and return Sunday evening -- again July 14-15.)

For the climb itself... We plan to leave Friday evening, July 27, and hike to Glacier Basin. Up to Schurman on Saturday morning and hope for good weather to summit Sunday morning. We plan to use Monday as a weather/contingency day, but hope to be back to Seattle by Sunday evening.

Anyone interested? If so, shoot me an email at thebootfitters@yahoo.com. Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: We found another party of two!

I am leaving this post up in case something happens and their plans fall through. I'll still take emails from interested parties in case I need to make something happen last-minute, but I anticipate that we are set. Thanks!

EDIT: OUR PARTY OF TWO IS LIKELY BACKING OUT

Anyone else available and interested for this weekend?

Edited by TheBootfitter

Hey,

I know I will not be able to make it out there for a July trip. I will be heading out on a road trip from South Carolina beginning August 2nd. Do not let the reference of the state deter you in my mountaineering ways. I am wanting to climb Mt. Rainier when I get out there probably the first week of August and would rather not do it alone. I do not have glacier experience, but I am in terrific shape and have countless backpacking trips behind me. I am persistent and of sound mind. I was curious if I could possibly meet up with an experienced climber when I get out there and you can show me to the summit via the DC route. I will have crampons and ice picks by the time I get there. Let me know how you feel about this situation.

Robert

Hey,

I know I will not be able to make it out there for a July trip. I will be heading out on a road trip from South Carolina beginning August 2nd. Do not let the reference of the state deter you in my mountaineering ways. I am wanting to climb Mt. Rainier when I get out there probably the first week of August and would rather not do it alone. I do not have glacier experience, but I am in terrific shape and have countless backpacking trips behind me. I am persistent and of sound mind. I was curious if I could possibly meet up with an experienced climber when I get out there and you can show me to the summit via the DC route. I will have crampons and ice picks by the time I get there. Let me know how you feel about this situation.

Robert

Ill take you if you give me 300 bucks :blush:

Thank you for your reply, now for soem inquiry questions. How many times have you summited Mt. Rainier? Have you taken other people up there as well? How much experience do you have?

Rob

I've trad climbed with XXX. He's got solid climbing experience. Not sure about the moustache though....You still sporting that thing 3X?

I'd love to join you on that trip, but my vacation doesn't begin until August 2nd. I will be driving out there and on my way I plan on stopping in Idaho and perhaps Yellowstone, so I do not know my exact date I will be out there. I was hoping someone with as flexible schedule as mine could possibly take me up it.