where should I

cj001f

Part of the draw here in West Seattle is the "absence". Don't need to live directly in the city to benefit from the city; prefer the relative quiet. And the bridge "megacluster"? That's a joke. You have convenience to crack, drunken clowns etc. in your backyard on Capitol Hill, I don't envy you that.

Having lived in some amazing mountain towns, this city on the whole has been a real step down (just like almost any city would be). Any climber, skier living here has to pack up their car and drive through town and highways for at least an hour to, and then back from our favorite outdoor activities. Kind of alters the experience and relationship with the hills. Nice mountains around us all, though.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/2 hour to bothell (the worst commute i can think of, which i currently do)

you can get just as fuckered in traffic if you lived in say...Madison Park. Also it depends on where you're commuting to. Not everyone works downtown. But if you do, the bike ride isn't any different then if you lived in Ballard.

Anyway, I'm just kidding you. West Seattle sucks.

Yeah, who are we kidding, "West Seattle blows".

Cap' Hill is where all the cool people, and climbers, are at. Over here we're just posers, dreamers, gapers. "Wannabees". We're moving to slow here, not to mention the hindrance of that "WSB", to ever get ahead of the curve.

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM??? The west side is the best side. We have Alki Beach, some of the best restaurants, Discovery Park, Husky Deli, Easy Street Records, etc. Face it Jay, you just want to overpay for a house, don't you? The WSB is only a cluster during rush hour, but I guess that is the only time you want to drive on it? And you don't think you can't get stuck in a traffic jam anywhere else in this cesspool? Man Jay, the East Coast attitude you're packing really stinks!

I don't think I've said there's anything wrong with West Seattle, it's just not at the top of the list for places I'd recommend to certain people.

I really don't understand why this is so upsetting.

You know Jay, the real problem you have with West Seattle (and Lake City for that matter) is that it is too far way for the hipsters riding the single speed bikes that you adore making fun of, and you're worried that if you loose touch with them they'll adopt some new fashion trend that you'll miss out on making fun of...THATS IT, ISN'T IT!!!??

Maybe you should move in with Layton.

I'd avoid:

Ranier Valley,

First Hill,

White Center,

Anything South of SCCC on Capitol Hill

Anything north of Greenwood

Lake City

Anything within 1/4 mile of Northgate Mall.

West Seattle if you are single and/or don't care for having your access to the rest of the universe constrained by a single cluster-prone stretch of highway.

Or, if you happen to know anyone that has worked at the Harborview ER, simply ask them where they get the majority of their admissions for stabbings, shootings, beatings, and OD's and avoid those areas, which will probably mirror those that I listed above.

I'd consider

Ravenna

GreenLake

Phinney

Ballard

Freemont

Greenwood

Possibly Wallingford

The parts of Capitol Hill north of SCCC

If you are into downtown apartments/condos and don't mind either not having a car or paying a ton for parking, and don't mind paying quite a bit for a small space, then perhaps Belltown.

Of all of these Ravenna/Greenlake/Ballard/Phinney and Capitol Hill probably offer the easiest access to downtown via car, bike, and all except Ballard offer easy access to highways.

Car break ins, drug-deals, urination on doorsteps, needles in gutters/flower-beds, etc diminish in direct proportion to the distance from Broadway and Aurora avenues if you are considering either the R/G/B/P area or Capitol Hill.

This is the best synopsis of the Seattle area ever. You should be a realtor. Folks would appreciate the honesty and you'd save them a lot of time.

I can do it pretty consistently from near the Junction to the office park sprawl in the Bothell wetlands. the secret is to get on the road before 7am. I have made it in 1/2 hour with stopping and getting an americano at starbucks! before, but i was speeding that day.

West Seattle Freeway > I-5 > I-90 > 405 > Bothell

Unfortunately coming home takes longer...45 minutes is my fastest time doing that taking off at 3:30pm.

Of course if I leave late (after 7am) then commute can easily take up to an hour or more.

Nonthreatening, recreational, ornamental, dining-out-at-an-ethnic restaurant diversity is one thing, high-school friend's little brother having a passenger shot to death in the back of his car because he pulled over too quickly for the driver behind him's liking diversity is quite another.

I could car less what the people around me look like, eat, etc so long as they obey the law.