Maybe you should move in with Layton.

I'd avoid:

Ranier Valley,

First Hill,

White Center,

Anything South of SCCC on Capitol Hill

Anything north of Greenwood

Lake City

Anything within 1/4 mile of Northgate Mall.

West Seattle if you are single and/or don't care for having your access to the rest of the universe constrained by a single cluster-prone stretch of highway.

Or, if you happen to know anyone that has worked at the Harborview ER, simply ask them where they get the majority of their admissions for stabbings, shootings, beatings, and OD's and avoid those areas, which will probably mirror those that I listed above.

I'd consider

Ravenna

GreenLake

Phinney

Ballard

Freemont

Greenwood

Possibly Wallingford

The parts of Capitol Hill north of SCCC

If you are into downtown apartments/condos and don't mind either not having a car or paying a ton for parking, and don't mind paying quite a bit for a small space, then perhaps Belltown.

Of all of these Ravenna/Greenlake/Ballard/Phinney and Capitol Hill probably offer the easiest access to downtown via car, bike, and all except Ballard offer easy access to highways.

Car break ins, drug-deals, urination on doorsteps, needles in gutters/flower-beds, etc diminish in direct proportion to the distance from Broadway and Aurora avenues if you are considering either the R/G/B/P area or Capitol Hill.

"Fight Center", I wouldn't live there but I do like it. Authentic vibe, some good joints (taco bus/ taqueria Rincon on 16th/Ambaum is amazing). El Salvadorian bakery on Roxbury. McLendon's. I like it there.

A friend and I went on a pub crawl in White Center a few years ago. We went to 6 or so places from 5-7 pm, saw some real flavor. Marv's Broiler, Triangle, Long Van (now Moon), Brewsky's, the Pacific Rim and a couple of more. We saw some sort of altercation or "challenge" at each place we went to, it was wild. Then we got called out as cops (untrue) by a guy we had seen at 3 consecutive places. Pretty lively locals there. That Pacific Rim brewery has a funky tasting room too. You can bring in your own to go containers of any size and shape, they charge you by the ounce for beer to go.

West Seattle, hey it's pretty sweet. If you don't work regular 9-5 hours the driving issues are nil. Nice waterfront, parks, community feel, some good restaraunts/bars/coffee, close to the airport.... and close to White Center..

Do not consider West Seattle unless you are well off and cultured and can bring a cute girlfriend or wife. If not then you can live anywhere else in the cesspool. Jays list is rubbish, those are the cool places to live. Just look at his choice of where to live....the East Coast. It really speaks volumes about his taste.

One neighorhood I also think is pretty cool is Columbia City. Its diverse and funky but There's some decent neighorhoods and it aint too uppity like Fremont and Belltown and the like. You could also check out Georgetown for a more industrial yet hip setting and you'd be close to the Nine Pound and the G-town brewery.

There's nothing particularly wrong with West Seattle, but I'd have a hard time recommending it to a single guy in his thirties who's into the mountains and will have to commute to and fro each day.

Married guy with kids who works by modem and has no hobbies outside of family life and/or those that require leaving the yard - perfection.

I'd avoid:

Lake City

What the fuck is your deal with Lake City BITCH

You may be a fellow mod, but I should teach you a lesson. Lake City has some good restaurants and a farmers market.

Now go back to Boston and your big dig. :battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::wazup:

It's more a question of convenience than proximity. That's a relatively minor consideration next to having to contend with the WSB megacluster and the absence of anything other than relatively lower prices for residential properties to warrant consideration over the other neighborhoods that I mentioned.

I'd avoid:

Lake City

What the fuck is your deal with Lake City BITCH

You may be a fellow mod, but I should teach you a lesson. Lake City has some good restaurants and a farmers market.

Now go back to Boston and your big dig. :battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::battlecage::wazup:

Lake City Way, for starters...

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM??? The west side is the best side. We have Alki Beach, some of the best restaurants, Discovery Park, Husky Deli, Easy Street Records, etc. Face it Jay, you just want to overpay for a house, don't you? The WSB is only a cluster during rush hour, but I guess that is the only time you want to drive on it? And you don't think you can't get stuck in a traffic jam anywhere else in this cesspool? Man Jay, the East Coast attitude you're packing really stinks!

nice hyperbole there Jay. i'm lost as to how people living in West Seattle can even subsist out there! they must be raising thier own crops and bartering. I'm pretty sure they don't use US currency because it is basically worthless in that land.

How's the commute? Probably better than driving in from Kent, but looked like a drag in comparison to most other neighborhoods.