Feeling blue?

archenemy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's cheaper to prescribe a pill than it is to spend all that time talking to people about what troubles them that traditional talk therapy requires.

I dunno, I've never been an anti-depressant candidate, but it seems they give it out too freely for reasons that don't involve clinical depression. Sometimes, if you don't feel bad about something, you won't figure out how to change it. Who promised that life would be easy? It's sort of like the psychotherapy version of that kid who calls down from the top of the crag, "Hey Mister, you can just walk up around the back!"

It all seems a bit fishy to me. I mean, if everyone is getting depressive episodes, I can't help but think:

1. It's an episode, so that means it passes

2. So many people get them, they should be considered normal.

Of course people get depressed--we all go through tough times. Sometimes life sucks--your kid dies, you get divorced, you get fired, whatever. You get through it. And when you do, you realize that you can make it through a tough time, so you remember that next time. I wonder if giving people pills to get through these times actually shortchanges them by taking this experience and confidence away from them.

It all seems a bit fishy to me. I mean, if everyone is getting depressive episodes, I can't help but think:

1. It's an episode, so that means it passes

2. So many people get them, they should be considered normal.

Of course people get depressed--we all go through tough times. Sometimes life sucks--your kid dies, you get divorced, you get fired, whatever. You get through it. And when you do, you realize that you can make it through a tough time, so you remember that next time. I wonder if giving people pills to get through these times actually shortchanges them by taking this experience and confidence away from them.

I couldn't agree more. there is such a huge (in my opinion)between depression the disease and a sad experience in someones life. i think there is no need for some oen to be taking an anti depressant unless they are in the care of a mental health professional. giving some one a pill to deal with change or loss does short change them. they are left with out coping tools on how to deal with the more and more change and loss we experience in out lives.

i am medicated. but i have i diagnosed disorder and i am in the care of a mental health professional. drugs open the doors to change and therapy offers a path to walk on once you walk through the door. the go hand in hand effectively. drugs with out the therapy is like putting a band aid on a heart attack.

Well said.

I am certainly not an anti drug person! But the "take a pill cuz yer sad" is b.s.

Not only that, I feel like we all are so spoiled that we forget to appreciate what we have and what we are. Whenever I come back from a trip somewhere that people work so friggen hard that they have little leisure time and no climbing gear I just feel like I am whiny when I gripe about something in my life. Of course, thinking about other people having less doesn't make me feel any better about my life--but it does make me stop and think.

Well said.

I am certainly not an anti drug person! But the "take a pill cuz yer sad" is b.s.

Not only that, I feel like we all are so spoiled that we forget to appreciate what we have and what we are. Whenever I come back from a trip somewhere that people work so friggen hard that they have little leisure time and no climbing gear I just feel like I am whiny when I gripe about something in my life. Of course, thinking about other people having less doesn't make me feel any better about my life--but it does make me stop and think.

being unhappy is not a disease. it is a signal to make changes. life is a beautiful gift. and such an amazing opportunity to have experiences.

I don't need pills. I have beer.

well said. when life sucks, head to 7-11 and buy a 40 of steel reserve. And if you are clinically depressed, then you should become a full fledged alcoholic to cope.

P.S. go see Transformers. it will help you cope with your weight gain...either that or watch Get Rich or Die Hard.

Edited by thatcher

The article didn't suprise me a bit. I am of the (non-MD) opinion that many people think that at all times in life, things should be rosy, or at least un-sad.

I agree that there are organic disorders that need medication. I am not talking about these situations.

The example of getting anti-depressants instead of facing an unpleasant financial issue is classic. When I am not sleeping at night or feeling down, it's because something in my life is in need of some change (again, note I do not have an organic condition that would warrant legitimate anti-depressant use).If I start medicating my brain from this sensation, it's like taking a bunch of pain pills to run a marathon. It's probably not huring short term, but the long term detrimental effects will suck in a big way.

-r

"Feeling depressed and near suicidal, I choose to head to the mts alone to seek her good tidings"....

Better than a pill. It's a lot like crashing an airplane, you swoop so low, only to bring her up at the last min into the beautiful blue sky of the wide open mountains....ahhhh, back to normal.

Fuck you guys, I didn't get to go climbing this weekend, didn't get to see Transformers, and now I weigh over 200 lbs for the first time in my life. Give me my goddamn pills!!!1!

hmmm i think you can do something about that ;)