Arc'Teryx Rolltop Packs

jon

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its a drybag for hikers. Makes sense. I bet they are kinda heavy for alpine climbing though probably pretty comfy for hiking. I bet they would be good for, say, the Olympic Beach Trail, or doing a route on Baker today or monsoon trekking in Nepal with all the leeches.

No dude I want the flail pack!

Actually the only reason I'm looking at it is because I need a dry bag for bike commuting so I don't get my laptop soaked, and the bike specific ones are spendy. Also been thinking of just getting a small haul bag.

Originally posted by jon:Lazer pointers?!?!?!?Metolius Redpoint Laser $20.

So Dru are you complaining about spagetti straps cause I think they are one of the best things ever invented?

If a cute girl is wearing them no problem. but when EVERY FRIKKEN FEMALE AT SMITH is wearing them then its like going to a nudist resort, the eye gets overloaded and shuts off and it becomes just another fashion horde clone look.

Yeah I noticed too that they didn't have the weight on the site. Weight is always a consideration, but how much will your pack weigh when it is soaked with water.

Dude you should pre-soak your pack with beer. Then you can let it drip into your mouth at base camp.

Speaking of small haulbags I see they are the new Cool Thing for trendy climbers to have a s a fashion accessory. All the posers down at smith on easter were strutting around with a dog, micro haulbag and/or crashpad/pack, cheater stick, laser pointer for giving redpoint beta, spaghetti strap sport bras, "sport clogs" , Prana $100 bouldering jeans, and FRS radios for communicating on those long Smith sport pitches. EXTREEM TECHNOLOGY!!!!

You or I may not be a good climber but nowadays you can sure dress like one rolleyes.gif" border="0 if you got the $$$ [Moon] trendies can kiss it [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by jon:
Anybody got one of these? Thoughts?

I recently checked 'em out on their website. They look really cool, but (as Dru noted about probably being heavy) I found it interesting that they didn't publish their weight.

Jon, check out the Gregory Bike bag sold at MEC, it's made out of hypalon or sheltertite waterproof material and the price looked right.

Or, I can sell you a set of the smaller Ortleib panniers for 25 bucks if you want them.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Beck ]

Lazer pointers?!?!?!? I can see the headlines in Rock and Ice, "Rachael Babkirk loses sight in one eye due to lazer pointer mishap". LOL

So Dru are you complaining about spagetti straps cause I think they are one of the best things ever invented?

Yeah I noticed too that they didn't have the weight on the site. Weight is always a consideration, but how much will your pack weigh when it is soaked with water.

Oh but you have to laugh. It's pretty much the only reason to go to Vantage, other than the exceptional climbing of course. Last time I was there one of the micro haul bag crowd was wearing a pair of goretex bibs because it looked like it might rain. It had been a bit cold he would probably have whipped out his 8000m down suit too. Or maybe just radio one of his buddies to go get it.

As for roll top packs, what wrong with a good old heavy duty trash can bag? Cheap, light, replaceable. I bet the Arcteryx number is none of those. Of course a fifteen year old pack with a trash bag sticking out the top of it isn't going to look that cool and the colors might not match that nice crash pad or shiny radio... shame.

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

I don't know who the intended consumer would be for the roll-top pack, but it would be great to have one for serious canyoneering and caving.

A good quality Roll Top packs would be good if it was done like the H20Proof Patagucci pack, so you have a seperate compartment for wet stuff - the combination of a dry bag & pack works better though as it's more flexible(and cheaper. The Arc'teryx packs are a bit froofy for dirt/other crap too. Better caving/canyoneering packs here

http://www.caves.org/imo/

Carl

Speaking of lightweight packs...I picked up a Deuter AC25 daypack, 1500 pubic inches.

3462246.jpg

It's cool cause the pack stays away from your back. Air flows freely across my back like an external.

b_advanced_aircomfort.gif

First time I've ever had a dry back after a day of humping. Good old German technology. End of shameless plug. PMSports

[ 04-19-2002, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: trask ]

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

No dude I want the flail pack!

Actually the only reason I'm looking at it is because I need a dry bag for bike commuting so I don't get my laptop soaked, and the bike specific ones are spendy. Also been thinking of just getting a small haul bag.

http://www.bdel.com/rockclimbing/packs_haul_bags.html

I briefly considered buying the little haul bag for craggin myself. Bomber for throwing around and sitting on instead of slowly destroying your $300 Nozone at Index. Waterproof (and beer proof) for those rainy days too. It might get stolen a little faster if it is fashionalbe though, (thanks for pointing that out Dru) alas, I plucked a $30 knapsack out of the rei clearance bin that is ugly and almost worthless except carrying crap to the crag. I will never be fashionable if I continue to be so cheap.

But I wouldnt mind trying out one of these haul bags if Black Diamond wants to give me one [chubit]

The Ark-ansas backpack would probably be a little more stable for dodging the [Mad] Suburban drivers [Mad] not paying attention as the haul bag has no compression straps..