[TR] Stuart - complete north ridge 7/6/2007

John Frieh

Trip: Stuart - complete north ridge

Date: 7/6/2007

Relevant beta:

- Route is fairly snow free though some snow patches still exist at lower ridge bivy sites, at the notch, and upper pitches for the purposes of melting.

- Gendarme bypass still holding lots of snow... looks like fun times on wet slabs.

- Lots of running water in the cascadian couloir. Snow relatively near summit but didn't see a puddle.

- We left Ingalls lake with 3 liters each... this was enought to get us up and over before running out and getting more water on the descent

- handlebar mustaches: oh so pimpin :cool:

- my 10th stuart summit :rawk:

Time:

Left car @ 12:05 am

Started climbing @ 5:05 am

Summit @ 11:15 am

Car @ 4:45 pm

We were staying on track for a 14 hour c2c but we took our sweet time on the descent as Brock's knees were hurting. Would have been stoked to do it in 14 but really who cares? Just a fine time in the hills...

Handlerbar Mustache... the future?

notch.JPG

i_love_vests.JPG

Ready... Set... Go!

time_to_go.JPG

simul_2.JPG

simul_1.JPG

simul_3.JPG

gendarme pitch 1

g_1.JPG

closing in

simul_4.JPG

stache on top!

brock_summit.JPG

Gear Notes:

black dress socks

mustache comb

nice_socks.JPG

Your mileage may vary:

- red, yellow c3

- .4-4 c4 (doubles in red)

- 5-13 stoppers

- 12 runners (10x24", 2x48")

No crampons, ice ax.

Bug spray highly recommended.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work and great TR! Did you even need the headlamps with that moon shining down? Must have been a cool hike in. JRCO and I bivi'd that nite atop the gendarme and summited about 9am. There was one particularly large rockfall onto the Stuart glacier about dawn, did you guys see it? I guess you would have been down below or past the glacier by then.

Edited by Drederek

Did you even need the headlamps with that moon shining down?

Yes... finding the cairns near Ingalls lake can be tricky at night.

There was one particularly large rockfall onto the Stuart glacier about dawn, did you guys see it? I guess you would have been down below or past the glacier by then.

We didn't but we were at the toe of the north ridge about ~10 mins before sunrise so we were fairly low at that point of the morning.

That is a sweet 'stache.

Yeah... I bet Chaps would be super jealous ;)

I'm curious, is 14hrs c2c a landmark for some reason?

No... not at all. Sorry if I made it sound like it was.

Sometimes when I get out I like to set goals... push myself a little... that's all...

Great TR. I did that same route last summer. We were pretty surprised to encounter a stout enduro layback crack somewhere about the 3rd pitch from bottom of the ridge. The crack wasn't on any of the topos we could find for the lower ridge (none of which were very detailed btw). Had we known how strenuous it would be, we probably would have hauled packs on that pitch. Anybody know if we were off route? Could it have been the famous "death crack" mentioned in the Kearney guide book?

Anybody know if we were off route? Could it have been the famous "death crack" mentioned in the Kearney guide book?

Yes and no...

Yes that was on route if you were doing the eastern variation of the CNR. No if you were doing something else. Keep in mind a few options exist through the initial pitches. As stout as it is I would still recommend this option. Many people do consider it the route's crux. If you reread Kearney's death crack description he considers it death because the crack runs out where as this one doesn't. Make sense?

Haul your packs? How much were you carrying? ;):P

Great TR. I did that same route last summer. We were pretty surprised to encounter a stout enduro layback crack somewhere about the 3rd pitch from bottom of the ridge. The crack wasn't on any of the topos we could find for the lower ridge (none of which were very detailed btw). Had we known how strenuous it would be, we probably would have hauled packs on that pitch. Anybody know if we were off route? Could it have been the famous "death crack" mentioned in the Kearney guide book?

I've done that crack. Its a fun variation and the more natural line. I think the standard route takes easier ground to the right.

sounds like coming at it from the other side is a better way to go, when trying to "go" quick. We did CNR saturday c2c from mtneer creek, opted to forgo the full-on boots/pons and instead rock the approach shoes down the sherpa. It ended up being tedious at a time when we were yearning for straight-forward, and left us with a moonlit, instead of sunset, hike out.

We're still trying to figure out where we could have shaved off 3 hours on the ridge, though(?) Well done!

Cheers

If the NW Buttress is what I think it is (and I'm still not exactly sure I know where we were) I would not reccomend it. We attempted to descend somewhere around the west horn, as beckey claimed that some parties had been doing. Kearney also seems to suggest this descent if you are hiking out stuart lake and/or mountaineer creek.

If the sherpa is "in", though I've never descended it I would think it preferable to whatever that choss fest was that we descended last year. I am sure there is a cruiser way down it, but our path was anything but cruiser. Plus, after hours of mentally draining chossel down climbing we had to kick steps in tennies in almost too firm snow (read Jens had to kick steps while I waited patiently above him listening to howls of screaming barfie hell (no gloves either)). All this wasted time led to a totally dark, one headlamp (we're smart) deproach through the black hole of mountaineer's creek.

Many hours of peering through the gloom, trying to find the next cairn finally put us back on the cattle trail and stumbling to the vehicle. Not quite safe, we still had to endure the drive home in a severely debilitated state, more drunk on fatigue and eye-strain than should be trusted behind a wheel. Did I mention it was my first trip of the season? Eight letters, two words: near-epic.

So anyway, don't do what we did. Last week we descended the west ridge, as our stache was at stuart pass. This was straight forward only after reaching the notch, it's a bit confusing right from the summit, especially with residual spring snow.

I haven't gone down the cascadian, and although it's not very aesthetically appealing (sure wouldn't want to go up it) it's probably the fastest, easiest way assuming you want to exit long's pass, that by the way is a whole other story...

max

I do! I do! (not)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned rapping one of the buttresses further East from the Sherpa glacier. I've read a report of people climbing close to the base of the West Ridge of Sherpa, and then rapping down to the basin below. Sounded pretty strait forward, with maybe 8-10 single rope rapps at existing stations.

Go in Mtneer creek and out Teannaway. Car shuttle or get friends to assist in transport. It's a lot of miles on the road but still easier and faster than walking around the mountain or rapping endless choss towers. Also, if you go late enough you can leave axes and crampons at home.

Car shuttle is extreme!

I'd much rather spend two pleasant hours walking in the mountains than spend 4 extra hours driving (plus 2 cars = 2 times more gas and CO2 emissions).

There's no way the car shuttle is faster if you count the extra hours logged driving (unless you are a VERY slow hiker)

You can leave the axes/poons at home if you do the Teanaway approach (assuming late-season and complete NR).

A car shuttle would be an atrocious waste of time, energy, and gas and I personally promise to make fun of anyone who admits doing it.

Early season, go in Mtnrs Crk and down Sherpa glacier.

Late season, go in Ingalls Lake and down Cascadian.

Simple.