[TR] Petes Point (Wallowas) - North Face 7/7/2007

Jamin

Trip: Petes Point (Wallowas) - North Face

Date: 7/7/2007

Trip Report:

At 9675 feet, Petes Point is the fifth highest mountain in the Wallowas. It is an easy scramble on all sides but the north face. In order to make it more challenging, I decided to try the north face.

After driving 3 hours to the East Fork Wallowa River trailhead, I started hiking up the highway to Aneroid Lake. At the beginning of the trail, the dust was a half-inch deep in many places, and there is definitely a large amount of horse poop on this trail. At Aneroid Lake, I was attacked by large amounts of bloodthirsty mosquitoes. I hoped that they would leave once I got up to a higher elevation so I headed up the easy class 1-2 gully to the basin below the north face. This basin, which contains the spectacular Jewett Lake, appears to have been only recently freed from a glacier. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1362/756836763_0e86ebc5a6_b.jpg

The skeeters were much better in the basin so I took a break. The route up the north face still looked scary, but as always, snow slopes always look more technical from far away.

I could see a section in the middle of the route that almost appeared to look like ice, but I quickly dismissed the thought. It was July 7th, and there couldn’t possibly be any ice climbing that late in the year. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/756836999_c4fd256eba_o.jpg

As I started the route I quickly found that in many places the snow was pretty thin for a good self-belay, but for the most part it was okay. About midway up the snow I started to encounter ice. The ice was probably not more than 50 degrees, but it was about as featureless as ice on a pond. I did about 10 feet of easy WI2, about 20 feet of snow, and then I ran into a section of about 20 feet of featureless WI2. I only had my straight axe with me, but it was doable. Unfortunately, I had no way to protect the ice, and a slip would have resulted in an unstoppable fall down to the bottom of the couloir. The ice was not very bad, and tool placements were pretty solid. However, I did wish that I had another tool. The rest of the route was only about 45 degree snow. Although it is definitely out of season, this was still a fun route. Although I did not encounter any rockfall, I saw rocks coming down the gully twice. Bring a helmet or die.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1185/756883585_55da1a0110_b.jpg

Once I topped out on the face, it was just an easy walk to the top of Petes Point. There were great views of most of the Wallowas. The summit register is actually a geocache.

The trip down the mountain was uneventful. I did some awesome glissading on the way down, and I took about 15 pictures of the beautiful Jewett Lake. I reached the trailhead at about 9:00pm. Trip time was about 10 hours. Total length was about 15 miles with a bit over 5000 feet of elevation gain.

Gear Notes:

Two tools or protection would have been nice.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched Jamin's youtube where he threw rocks and killed a rattlesnake for no reason.

Jamin, I used to study rattlesnakes. I take extreme offense to this. You are an idiot. I hope it comes back around to you.

By reading your prior reports I know you are a huge dumbfuck and make stupid decisions, you probably will die pretty soon anyway.

That was a 3 foot long rattlesnake that I nearly stepped on. My father used to hunt rattlesnakes when he was a kid.

By the way, snake is supposed to taste good.

It sounds like you almost hope that I am going to die. Lose the hate, man.

Edited by Jamin

there is definitely a large amount of horse poop on this trail.

Pee and poop seems to follow you everywhere.

featureless WI2.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The ice was not very bad, and tool placements were pretty solid.

Lucky you. WI2 is a variable medium, after all...

Although I did not encounter any rockfall, I saw rocks coming down the gully twice.

Didja, or didn't ya? :confused:

My father used to hunt rattlesnakes when he was a kid. I am just carrying on the tradition.

By the way, snake is supposed to taste good.

Hunting and killing are two different things. If your father truly hunted rattlesnakes then he ate them and also used other parts such as the skins and rattles. If you kill a rattle snake and just leave it, that is not hunting, that is simply killing something for the fun of it, so you are not carrying on your father's tradition. Moreover, that is the dumbest reason to do something. If your dad killed rattlesnakes rather then hunting them, then he is a dumb ass as well and may explain how you turnd out to be such a fuck up. I am glad you do not have a significant other, becasue you do not need to spread your genes. maybe they should castrate people like you.

Glad I wasn't there to witness it otherwise I may have hit you in the head with the rock........

I just watched Jamin's youtube where he threw rocks and killed a rattlesnake for no reason.

Jamin, I used to study rattlesnakes. I take extreme offense to this. You are an idiot. I hope it comes back around to you.

By reading your prior reports I know you are a huge dumbfuck and make stupid decisions, you probably will die pretty soon anyway.

Is this spray?

Dude, I don't hope you die, but I hope you learn.

I've read many of your trip reports and have seen people blast you for poor decision-making. And, I see above that you pretty well admit to killing a snake for no other reason than that it was near you.

We've all made stupid decisions in our lives, but some of us try to learn from those mistakes.

Know that you either shouldn't kill animals indiscriminately, or you shouldn't talk about it (and you certainly shouldn't post video!).

If you post a trip report stating that you learned an important lesson, and that you want to share that lesson with others, then great. But repeatedly saying things like "It was ridiculously dangerous, so I continued" is just asking for it. Either don't make that decision, or don't talk about it.

I won't harp on you too much, because I don't know you.

But I will say, I was once a bit more like you....like when I was 17.

A son always pays for his father's sins.

Jamin,

I think you should learn more about rattlesnakes. You will find they are amazing creatures. They have enough to struggle with, without being killed by humans. It is unnecessary are cruel.

Boy, you were in HIS habitat. You were in HIS home. He wasn't in your backyard.

I am not against eating animals, my family has been butchers for over 210 years. I am going to start raising rabbits for meat too. You are stupid and ignorant if you kill a snake for just being a snake. The meat isn't worth it, they play an important ecological role and it is just plain cruel. It really isn't cool Jamin.

Here is a picture of a beautiful den of snakes we used to visit and collect data. No snakes were or ever have been harmed.

rattlers.jpg

Ever since you inserted yourself in the the cc.com community,

I figured you would hurt or kill yourself with your reckless approach to climbing.

BUT, to harm wildlife for absolutely no reason is fucking unacceptable! :tdown::tdown:

Here's to hoping karma bites you in the ass for this.

Jimbo