Slesse fatality yesterday?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He went off on Friday to do the fieldwork (couple of months in the interior of BC) for this thesis...so it is very unlikely to be Dru.

I sure hope you are right. i have been trying to maintain over here.

Last I saw was a news item concluding with "The names of the climbers will not be released." Presumably at the request of the families. Still, you'd think the climbers' grapevine would know who was involved...

If you knew who it was, and the family requested that you not tell anyone, would you?

Condolences.

Last I saw was a news item concluding with "The names of the climbers will not be released." Presumably at the request of the families. Still, you'd think the climbers' grapevine would know who was involved...

If you knew who it was, and the family requested that you not tell anyone, would you?

Condolences.

Ive always assumed that mainly applied to the media. I cant imagine why family would specifically ask friends not to tell other friends. Im suprised the names have been kept under wraps this long. Im having a hard time coming up with a reason why I would specifically ask that the name of my dad or kid not be released to the general public.

Best wishes to the family either way.

I spoke today with someone who has been involved with the planning for a recovery effort. Apparently the victim is a foreign national who was resident in Abbotsford. There has been involvement by very senior RCMP, and they are keeping a tight lid on information. So there seems to be an international relations angle to this that may explain why so little information is being released.

• 2 months later...

In today's rags:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=3dd1407d-6445-49d4-ad9b-66ea9a35d7ba&k=43470

Body of missing climber recovered

Chantal Eustace, Vancouver Sun

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The body of missing climber was recovered from Mount Slesse in Chilliwack this week, close to the spot where he fell into an icy crevasse during a climbing accident in July.

Sertac Olgun, 31, a Turkish student living in the Abbotsford area, was hit by falling ice while climbing with a friend on July 7, said Upper Fraser Valley RCMP spokeswoman Const. Lea-Anne Dunlop, in a media release today.

When his friend could not locate Olgun, he hiked five hours to locate help, Dunlop said.

Members of the Provincial Emergency Program determined the chance of Olgun's survival to be unlikely, she said, after a rescue team surveyed the area of the incident using a helicopter. Two days later, they determined that even a recovery mission was too dangerous.

"Recovery was delayed in order to perform a safe extraction, and was made possible by snow melt," said Dunlop.

Chilliwack Search and Rescue recovered Olgun's body on Sept. 19 - about 300 metres from the scene.