eiger boots/ice axes

mikey

scot'teryx,

Do you have the la sportiva eigers or another brand called eiger ? Im just suprised that with the 'silicon impregnated leather' the water soaked the boots, which id exactly what im trying to avoid. If this is the case, what do you recommend to use to seal ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by scot'teryx:
Gore Tex in boots is good from what I have seen and heard from friends, like La Sprtivas GTX series. My eigers can get soaked even after nixwaxed, but maybe it's just me and I need to hit the bong harder.

Uh Goretex doesn't change the leather getting soaked through at all. It may change your feet getting wet. The Goretex layer is inside the outer layer of leather - if you don't want the leather wetting through apply Biwell, Nikwax, or the like to it. I keep my boots well waterproofed - have never had a problem. The main reason Gore came up with using it in footwear is to boost there sales volume(see Wall Street Journal)

As for the Ice Axe question. Your talking about Momentum. Think about hammers.

Carl

Scot'teryx you are a gaper. That disclaimer you read on the Grivel website regarding not knocking your crampons or using as a deadman applies to ALL of their axes. It is an industry standard CYA thing. You need to read more carefully before you start spraying a bunch of shit you know nothing about. Go climb something, then maybe you will be able to form a valid opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by cj001f:

Uh Goretex doesn't change the leather getting soaked through at all. It may change your feet getting wet. The Goretex layer is inside the outer layer of leather - if you don't want the leather wetting through apply Biwell, Nikwax, or the like to it. I keep my boots well waterproofed - have never had a problem. The main reason Gore came up with using it in footwear is to boost there sales volume(see Wall Street Journal)Carl

This is very true. If you think your boots leak or the leather is not waterproof - put them on with a clean/dry pair of socks and stand in a deep puddle or bucket of water. If they leak, you'll know immediately.Otherwise, if your feet are getting wet over a period of time (with treated leather and no seam leaks) it's due to foot perspiration. Either your boots and/or socks have too much insulation and are causing your feet to overheat AND/OR your footwear has no ventilation (i.e. Gore-tex. Contrary to what most people believe, it does not 'breathe' as much as what they claim). There is no way that a 'waterproof/beathable' membrane can keep up with the moisture produced by an over-insulated (overheated) foot.

As stated before: Gore-tex in footwear is a joke!