Tents 4 season 2 man

rayborbon

tent_of.jpg

I prefer my single wall Baker tent. When set up properly and the sheapherder stove cranked with some hand-cut tomahawk&drawknife-small.jpg alder logs, man am I ever comfy.

stoves-small.jpg

The 4 man version weighs about 65 pounds, less stove, but if you have some dumbass buddy willing to hump the tent for herb, what's the diff??

Remember, Ray...lite is right

[Moon]

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: trask ]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:
Ray- you may want to consider bivying beneath my testicles. They are very sturdy and thier strength to wieght ratio is very impressive and I've noticed that they are very efficient at wicking away moisture. -just a suggestion

Fecal eater. Impressive when compared to gray squirrel balls is what your woman said.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

If you do go single-wall in the PNW, you WILL get wet, PERIOD. I do in mine (Marmot Insane Asylum). For a rainy or low altitude trip, I'll take a 7 to 10 lb. double wall mountain tent, like my Moss or SD. I just get a chuckle, like it's the big lie: " get a single wall tent, duuude, they're great." No one who owns one will admit the dirty little secret: you can't get the temp. gradient right in the warm PNW. Maybe on McKinley, a single wall would work well... although there I used my little SD Tiros.

What, and you won't get wet in the double wall tent? Whatever...

I'd prefer to carry a wet 5 pound single wall tent than a wet 10 pound twice as bulky double wall tent anyday. But that's just me, call me crazy. Plus, if you cook up your hot drinks in the tent you will get the gradient that you need.

Then again I cant afford one, so I just dig a cave and use a bivi.

wbcskier,

Thank you. In lower than treeline I prefer a bivy sack. 8lbs is a lot for me to get motivated to carry. I think if I was going somewhere super severe I might think twice about things. Most peaks I climb are aroun 9-12000 feet anyway. Not much on volcanoes any more but will go up there sometimes wink.gif" border="0

More feedback still desired smile.gif" border="0

I have never used the ID but own an I-tent. It is a great tent and I really like it. Besides the cost(I got it for a wedding present) the other downfall is the size. They are small and don't allow for a lot of storage or roll around room. You need to like your tentmate. For a night or two it is fine but longer than that and you will probably be wishing for more space.

Wopper,

That is good info as my partner stink bad [laf] . What do you think about cooking in extreme weather? Is it better to have the hanging stove as mentioned by someone else? Or is the option of cooking in a vestibule better..

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

what is comming down to is How often will you go out?

If too often get a double wall (I have a great experience with TNF Mountain 25 althougt heavy But build like a brick house) for durability I also have the Bibler Eldorado two doors model which I really like for a fast and light ascents although mine is in excellent condition (8 years and going strong) I wouldn't try to push the envelope and subject the tent to constant use and abuse for this I have the TNF

grin.gif" border="0

I have never used a hanging stove in my tent and do not own the vestibule. I always use the stove outside. I guess my mentality is that if the weather sucks so bad I can't use the stove outside, you will find me on a barstool. I would be hesitant to pay retail on a Bibler but if you can get a pro-deal, they rock.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:
Then again I cant afford one, so I just dig a cave and use a bivi.

Way to go I like that

but if u have small amount of snow u can do with the ID also my friend have the SD clip flashlight at 3.13lb, 32sq and 6sq vestibule its really light (also on your pocket $150) this tent rock. on one trip we woken to a foot and a half of snow and didn’t even realized it you just have to pitch it right condensation control is an art with this tent but its definitely could be done and in the rain u will stay bone dry b/c this tent never leak. it is the tightest tent I ever been in but for 2-3 days its bearable grin.gif" border="0

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]

You shouldn't have to choose between 5 pound single and 10 pound double. The North Face used to make a five pound double wall tent that was strong in the wind, and very roomy for two. It was the Westwind. I believe it weighed under 6 pounds in the as-sold package with the stakes, and I found it unnecessary to carry stakes because in the mountains I always tied it out to skis, bushes or rocks anyway. It was high enough at the front end to sit up in , but with an overall low profile, it was less susceptible to wind than other N.Face tents -- I once spent a night on Rainier when my Westwind was find, but the dome tents were either imploding or blowing over or both. The problem was, it wasn't "free-standing" so they couldn't sell it when people compared features in a catalog. Chock another one up for mass-market-driven product "development."

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:
You shouldn't have to choose between 5 pound single and 10 pound double. The North Face used to make a five pound double wall tent that was strong in the wind, and very roomy for two. It was the Westwind. I believe it weighed under 6 pounds in the as-sold package with the stakes, and I found it unnecessary to carry stakes because in the mountains I always tied it out to skis, bushes or rocks anyway. It was high enough at the front end to sit up in , but with an overall low profile, it was less susceptible to wind than other N.Face tents -- I once spent a night on Rainier when my Westwind was find, but the dome tents were either imploding or blowing over or both. The problem was, it wasn't "free-standing" so they couldn't sell it when people compared features in a catalog. Chock another one up for mass-market-driven product "development."

I own a Westwind. For it's size, it is pretty light and I can attest to the wind resistance also. (The thing is shaped like a slug.) The strongest winds I have experienced was a a night spent in a howler in the Needles of South Dakota of all places and it was fine.

Regarding the TNF Westwind:

"very roomy for two"

I had oone of these in the late 80s and early 90s. Good tent, stood up to winds well, lightweight, but NOT, I say again NOT "very roomy for two." That sucker was pretty tight. And I have Bibler I-Tent with one door now...and I love it.

Anyway Westind was a good tent, but not roomy. confused.gif" border="0

whutever, dude. I guess some people are the types who always get wet, no matter what. I Don't get wet in ANY of my double wall tents, but I guess if you pitch 'em correctly...Of course, I like to take my SD Superflash (SD version of the Westwind), wall and poles only, and dig it down about 6 in" in the snow-- 3 # mountain tent!Another nice trick, if I'm sloggin' a volcano, is to overstock the climbers in the tent. I've had 7 climbers in my Big Dipper-- dry as toast and less than 2 # per person.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: none ]

After in person inspection and looking and looking abd changing plans I decided to get the SD Hercules. I will also check out some of those Hilleberg tents this summer in mtns around here. I could not pass up the Hercules as I can nearly sit on top of the thing without it collapsing. PLus I viewed the wind tunnel demonstration from their website which lured me (100 MPH). I will most likely get first use of it this weekend in Canada mountains. [big Grin]