Tents 4 season 2 man

rayborbon

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a one deal 4 season alpine tent (2 person). I want to put a tentacle out there and see what you bozos think.

I am currently looking at the - Sierra Designs Hercules AST I am also interested in Integral Designs MK3 tent it's light!

What do you guys like? What are the weights and strengths and weaknesses in your recommendations. I have used a Stephensons but not sure. Looked real flimsy but maybe I had the wrong model.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: rayborbon ]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they both single wall?

I spent about a week in an integral single wall once and it worked great.

In the past I have heard bad comments about the SD single wall tents. Mostly that the material they used pretty much sucked ass, but that was a few years ago.

good luck

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: Lambone ]

The Integral Designs is a single wall tent.

The Sierra designs is double wall.

I would prefer to get away with single wall tent. Just want to know they will be ok if I go climbing in winter snow slog and high winds as well as significant snowfall before it caves in.

The two pole single wall tents (like the I-tent) are super strong in high winds if you guy them out properly. They also have steep walls which helps shed snow easily. In my opinion they are the perfect winter tent if you can afford it. I also Like how you set it up from the inside, so if its storming you can just huck all your stuff in, crawl in and set it up and stay dry (sort of...)

The key with a single wall tent is that it needs to be significantly warmer in the tent than outside to push the moisture through the breathable fabric. Bigger single wall tents tend not to breath as well if you only have two people in them.

I like the I-tent combined with a hanging stove. That set up is usually warm enough to dry out your stuff, and push the moisture out of the tent.

Double wall tents are ok also. But they are heavier and bulkier. The biggest problem I have found is that the moisture collects on the inside of the rainly and can freeze up and be hard to dry if your on the move. Then your trying to stuff up a wet frozen rainfly, and carrying around extra water, which sucks bad. Also, if snow compresses the rainfly so that it touches the inner wall you end up wet inside your tent.

Just buy a bivy sack and shovel and spend the rest of the money on beer.

You could also check out the MEC Snowfield. Cheap quality. Really durable, its hard to wreck them but I managed to after about 8 years. Better for snow than rain actually, IMHO cause mine leaked after about 2 years, even after I seam sealed it.

Those new MSR tents might be good?

Mtn Hardware tents are durable but real heavy from what I hear. but you get a window to look out of at the polar snafflehounds pillaging your food cache.

Bibler single wall tents are great... the I-tent & El Dorado. The Tempest is good, too, but heavier. Slept (heh----sort of)in an El Dorado at Camp Schurman through a sleet/lightening/thunder storm, there was no leakage, condensation, or damage to the tent. The 2 door weighs about 5lbs.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: jules ]

Try Northern Mountain Supply. You will find their ad in Climbing or Rock & Ice. I got my Eldorado & vestibule for $150 off retail.

Man, I have tried putting the poles up while in the Eldorado but could not do it. Hey, no one said I was bright.

Weight with guy lines, poles, one door and no suff sacks is 4lbs 8oz. Vestibules is another 19oz.

Jedi wink.gif" border="0

I really like my Mtn. Hardwear Trango 2, it's not the lightest, but it definately performs well in high winds and provides an ample amount of living space for two people in a full day or days storm. Two vestibules, six poles, for lots of strength and stability. 440 dollars, but weighs around 8 pounds. I like it though. I was looking at the Bibler or I.D. but could not afford it, and I heard they get very moist inside when below treeline, since they don't breath as well. But if what you like is big mountain climbing or winter mountaineering, I say go for the I.D. but if you want a tent you can do stuff in all year around I'd look at a two wall tent.

After sleeping in a swedish Hilleberg "Staika" tent a few times I am convinced they are the best 4 season double walled tent. They a have 2 vestibules big enough for a pack and a stove in each. The inner tent is attached to the outer so when you set it up it does not get wet. It has a big ass vent on the roof and is bombproof in the wind. The person who's i'd slept in had been usen on Logan(After splitting up with his team he bought it from one of his "teamates" so he could continue on his own. Upon returning to Sweden his teamate bought the same tent again), Fairweather, and many other extream trips and can't stop talking about how good it is. Most people who use them or see them are convinced they are the best tent on the market. And if you are 6"7' as I am there is even room to spare as opposed to most American tents. They also make a one person version with no vestibule and the internal length and width are BIGGER than a two person Bibler Eldorado shocked.gif" border="0 ! This company is just breaking into the American market and has an outlet in Seattle. Check out the website at http://www.hilleberg.com

The guy Stefan is talking about, is dual Swedish/Canadian citizenship, and is angling to get a Hilleberg distributorship, so every chance you get, he tels you how good his Swedish tent is. That said I also slept in that tent and it does rock. Its also one where the poles go in the fly and then the inner is suspended from the fly so its easy to keep it dry inside while you set it up.

Ray, it sounds like the single wall is for you, but in case anyone else is interested, I was involved in the developement of the SD Hercules tent and it is by far the strongest tent on the market from a wind load stand point. We tested it in wind tunnels (including the one at UW by the way) and it is the only tent we have EVER been unable to make fail. Though, to be honest, we had to promise not to crank the wind speeds up over 100mph (damages the tunnel when the tent blows up at that speed). For reference, every 4-season tent you can think of will generally fail below 50mph. The Hercules also weighs about a pound less than comparable double wall tents.

- Dan

quote:

Originally posted by IceIceBaby:
what is comming down to is How often will you go out?If too often get a double wall (I have a great experience with TNF Mountain 25 althougt heavy But build like a brick house) for durability I also have the Bibler Eldorado two doors model which I really like for a fast and light ascents although mine is in excellent condition (8 years and going strong) I wouldn't try to push the envelope and subject the tent to constant use and abuse for this I have the TNF
grin.gif" border="0

Having used a Mtn 25 for 7 years now, I cna attest to the durability. Very comfy for trips longer than 3-4 days, or if you expect to be tent bound. They are however heavy ~8lbs

Carl