Help Needed for Mountain Goat Study

Goat Man

Fellow Cascade climbers,

I'm a graduate student at Western Washington University and I'm studying the genetic structure of mountain goat populations in the Cascade range. I'm interested in understanding the landscape factors that restrict gene flow between populations, and I'm also studying the genetic impacts of Olympic range goats relocated to the Cascades in the 1980's. This analysis will assist wildlife management agencies in managing their recovery (mountain goats have declined by 70% since 1960 and are continuing to decline in many places).

I'm collecting genetic samples in the form of goat scat (poop) this summer from throughout both the Olympic and Cascade ranges, and I'm asking the climbing community to assist me in collecting samples. The more we collect, the greater the chances this study will reveal useful information that could help in the conservation of this species.

Goat scat looks like most other ungulate scat... little pellets that are either in a clump or break apart into a pile. The fresher the better (old scat is difficult to isolate DNA from). If you find mountain goat scat, and are willing to help, please place 4-5 pellets per sample in a container or zip lock bag, put them in the freezer when you get home, and contact me by email at wherelizardsdare@yahoo.com. If anyone is interested in an internship this summer, I have a couple more positions available and have funding to pay mileage and per diem for your sample collection trips.

Thank you all for any help with this project you can spare, and enjoy your summer in the mountains.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, just missed this request. These furry fellas woke me up at @ 6am just yesterday morning, I could have covered your requirements from the Elkhorns (Oregon) bigtime.

BTW, interesting note in that one of our party was an Oregon Fish and Wildlife biologist, she says that these aminals populations have exploded in this area to approx 300 animals and they are close to exceeding the lands capacity.

Goat_herd_small.jpg

BTW, interesting note in that one of our party was an Oregon Fish and Wildlife biologist, she says that these aminals populations have exploded in this area to approx 300 animals and they are close to exceeding the lands capacity.

Would be cool if they got so numerous that we could introduce a nice snow leopard population to weed them out. Those things rule!

i think the world needs more cougars instead

CWG_Cougars.jpg

Finally, something we can agree on.

Anyone else wonder how I beat Dru with this comment? Maybe he's sick or laying hurt real bad in a ditch somewhere.....?

Edited by billcoe

I'm thinking this smells like a troll.

But, hey, if it succeeds at duping a bunch of dirtbags into toting goat poo around in their packs, I'd have to give credit for it being a good one. I might even participate--sounds like some fun shit. :laf:

Glad the study wasn't about bear populations. I'd need a bigger pack. :noway:

You're right, they are difficult to tell apart. Any scat sample found in cliffy terrain would be either mountain goat or possibly big horn sheep, in the few areas where they are found. Deer do visit alpine areas in the summer months, so samples found away from steep terrain could be more difficult to ID. Mountain goat tracks are easily discernable from other ungulates, so if you find goat tracks around the scat, that would help with identification too.

I assume you're interested in knowing where the scat sample was found. (You didn't ask.) By drainage? GPS coordinates? Wouldn't wool samples be just as easy? I would be happy to help as long as the purpose of your thesis doesn't involve justification for the old ONP program of goat eradication.

I assume you're interested in knowing where the scat sample was found. (You didn't ask.) By drainage? GPS coordinates? Wouldn't wool samples be just as easy? I would be happy to help as long as the purpose of your thesis doesn't involve justification for the old ONP program of goat eradication.

Yes, thanks, that's right, we are interested in the location of the sample. GPS coordinates would be best, but pointing to the general area on a topo map would work too. Our purpose is not to justify eradication of the non-native Olympic population (the park service gave up on that 20 years ago). We're trying to understand why the Cascade population is declining and devise ways to reverse the trend.

All those extra goats could be put to use right in Seattle. I'm not kidding or looking for love.

All the steep hillsides in Seattle have a major problem with English ivy and many other invasive non native species of plants. We need a few goat herders and thousands of goats on the hills above I-5 and other spots to clean up the place.

On top of that all the kids will love driving down the freeway checking out the goats.

baa baa baa baa baa baa

I'm thinking this smells like a troll.

If it is Blake must be in on it. If its not I'm sorry, I just have a skeptical streak in me. I remember there being a lot more goats in the in the Olympics 10 years ago and while its cool to see one now and again I don't see a decline in their population as being a bad thing. A large enough herd to support one of Dru's bedmates would cause significant damage to the hillsides!

All those extra goats could be put to use right in Seattle. I'm not kidding or looking for love.

All the steep hillsides in Seattle have a major problem with English ivy and many other invasive non native species of plants. We need a few goat herders and thousands of goats on the hills above I-5 and other spots to clean up the place.

On top of that all the kids will love driving down the freeway checking out the goats.

baa baa baa baa baa baa

http://www.goatsrus.com/

• 2 weeks later...