Newbie Cascades - Looking for Sea Plane drop off

wbaker57

Newbies to this forum but have a lot of experience.

My climbing buddy and I have years of back country experience all over the US, Asia and Europe. In the last two years we have climbed Mt. Shasta, Mt Hood and Mt. Whitney and have spent back country time in Glacier NP, Sequoia, Yosemite and more.

We are coming to Seattle Aug 24 and are looking for and Outfit that could fly us into a remote spot of the Cascades, drop us of for 3-5 days and return to pick us up.

What's available? What are the routes you would do? What do you guys suggest?

Many thanks,

Whit

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would forget the whole idea of taking a plane anywhere into the Cascades. I have flown with Kenmore Air for my job and the pilot told me they do not like to fly over the Cascades specifically because there is no place to land a float plane.

There is plenty of backcountry accessible by a day's walk. I think that the Ptarmigan Traverse would fit your schedule and climbing experience and would feed your desire for a wilderness experience.

• 1 month later...

The Pasayten Wilderness is indeed remote. I spent 21 days in there and only saw people when I crosed the Pacific Crest trail. Start hiking north from Strawberry Mountain and can go all the way to tcanada. Cut West and hit Ross lake and hike back along the lake. Or take a shuttle boat up Ross Lake and get dropped off at one of the many drainages. For an all around experience though i would second the recommendation on the Ptarmigan traverse. You may see a few people back there but it is remote.

The Pasayten Wilderness is indeed remote. I spent 21 days in there and only saw people when I crosed the Pacific Crest trail. Start hiking north from Strawberry Mountain and can go all the way to tcanada. Cut West and hit Ross lake and hike back along the lake. Or take a shuttle boat up Ross Lake and get dropped off at one of the many drainages. For an all around experience though i would second the recommendation on the Ptarmigan traverse. You may see a few people back there but it is remote.

I concur, spent a good week in the pasayten wilderness, did not see a soul for 7 days. Loved it.