Alpine ice/Lake Stuart/Solo

minddoc

Any ideas for a one-day solo with some Alpine ice out of Lake Stuart? I was thinking about going to the Sherpa glacier, but I don’t want to do that approach solo. I did Culchuck glacier the other day a good day hike not so much of a climb. Any ideas?

Thank you

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Charlie, but Harry knows of what he speaks. Oh, you can go bash about on some glaciers (not a really great solo idea) or find some sort of snowish approach, but we're into the narrow window of alpine rock season.

You're a recent California transplant, right? The Cascades are quite different from the Sierras. You might find what you're seeking by going further north, but you'll have to pry some info out of the Canadians, and approach beta can become crucial. You're better off cultivating a partner and go do some of that good stuff in the Stuart range.

My partner is seeing Willie Nelson today :crazy:. I wanted to stay near by and do a solo but instead I am working today in order to open up other opportunities for later. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will keep the Sherpa GL as a opption for later this year when it is a bit cooler. Its like 100 some degrees today 4th of July on the East side :cry:.

NO!!! Don't say that :cry: this is Washington home of alpine ice and other fun stuff that doesn't involve rock.

More Californians, No Doubt!

More_Cal.jpg

:lmao: Alpine ice season here, except for the volcanoes, is like February, March, and sometimes April. If there's good enough wedder, of course.

Funny, funny, just for that I am going back to the Ice Cliff next week. Baker the next and the Wedge after that. Of course my partner will be coming along.

:crosseye:;)

Oh... I was looking at Mount Maude. That looked like a good climb as well.

NO!!! Don't say that :cry: this is Washington home of alpine ice and other fun stuff that doesn't involve rock.

More Californians, No Doubt!

More_Cal.jpg

:lmao: Alpine ice season here, except for the volcanoes, is like February, March, and sometimes April. If there's good enough wedder, of course.

I think I will keep the Sherpa GL as a opption for later this year when it is a bit cooler.

dude ... you asked for advice ... so listen to what the locals are telling you ... it is common local knowledge that the shrud on the Sherpa opens pretty early ... if you are dead set on the Stuart Range plan on (be ready for) the Ice Cliff and the descent via Mountaineer Creek

The Shrud on the Sherpa opening early sounds like it could be a good challenge for myself and partner. We can always turn around. However, we will never know unless we try. its going to be a bit cooler next week we will have to assess then.

As far as advice given to me by the locals regarding my possible solo on the 4th, thank you. However, the question did not have much to do with the shrud or Mountaineer Creek? Other then I didn't want to do the approach to Sherpa GL solo, which does involve Mountaineer Creek. It sounds like you may have read my question incorrectly. If I can clarify anything for you please let me know.

I always take local advice seriously and assess it for goals vs. danger, but it doesn't mean it will keep me from trying something and turning around. A open Shrud is not life threatening, but could be a fun day out. So if I decide to try this route I will keep my eyes open, thanks.

I think I will keep the Sherpa GL as a opption for later this year when it is a bit cooler.

dude ... you asked for advice ... so listen to what the locals are telling you ... it is common local knowledge that the shrud on the Sherpa opens pretty early ... if you are dead set on the Stuart Range plan on (be ready for) the Ice Cliff and the descent via Mountaineer Creek