You: July 4 Exfo Expo

mattp

The weather forecast calls for a hot sunny day on Wednesday, and I bet lots of you have not yet made plans. The west side of Exfo Dome stays in the shade 'till about noon (well, maybe not the West Buttress or Westward Ho) so it makes a good choice for this kind of weather. There are six routes there, of varying difficulty 5.9-5.12.

How 'bout a relatively early morning jamboree? There's room for multiple parties, and we could be all patriotic and stuff.

Depending on how we play it, this would get you home in time for a nappy before the fireworks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, this wouldn't be at the exits. It is in Darrington, approximately two hours' drive from Seattle, and the approach hike involves a thousand feet of scrambling. The climbs are about eight pitches plus two extra, or ten pitches total, topping out here:

GregBluebH.jpg

It isn't sport climbing. The West (Blueberry) Buttress and Dark Rhythm are mostly slab climbing and lower angle lieback flakes and such; Rainman and Jacob's ladder have some steeper face and crack climbing. A lot of it is bolt-protected, but you have to bring a full rack and all of the climbs have some significant runouts on them at some point or other even if the crux's are well-protected.

It is great climbing up there, but the Dome is kind of a combination rock climb / mountain climb. It takes about ten rappels to get down.

Darrington ROck Climbing web page on The Dome

• 4 weeks later...

Hey you:

The July 4 gig fizzled, but the climbing up there remains pretty cool. I've got a parter(s) for tomorrow, but if anybody else is going to be in the area, we might share some photo opportunities or something. I'm not quite sure what we're doing, and maybe they'll kill me for posting this, but DTown is fun!