Climbing Etiquette question

archenemy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey fuck bag...he threw his stuff at the base AFTER ASKING WHAT WAS UP AND HOW LONG THE WAIT WOULD BE and being told that it was minimal...perhaps he wanted to get another pitch in before having to tear off home before curfew?????

I don't think he did anything wrong, and i wouldn't have been the least bit offended...in fact, it wouldn't have bugged me if he'd tied in to his own line and was preparing to go before i'd pulled my rope...

perhaps he should flake his rope 50 feet or some other magic distance away... :rolleyes:

I think, given this fucking shit hole of a site, and the punters that routinely post here, that "a dozen people reply that sucks", means absolutely nothing to me...in fact, i'd think its rather a validation of my opinion if they post counter to me...

:fahq:

That's funny stuff

Ok so maybe your reading comprehension is a bit weak

here ill put it in bold for you

This dude opens up his rope bag and lays the thing out pretty much right on top of our rope bag. The person I was lowering had to be careful to avoid landing on it b/c it was right underneath her.

in a nut shell: he put his gear on her gear making it difficult to lower off and pack up. it has nothing to do with him getting on the climb, leading under her, getting home for curfew or flaking his rope some magical distance away..all he had to do was move his shit off to the side while the person lowered off.

some people have really poor social skills..geuss they learn it from their parents :fahq:

Whatever...arch didn't describe how much of a clusterfuck she left the bottom of the route...maybe her party had shit strewn all over the place...

face it, the fellow had the courtesy to ask how long and what the wait was...he didn't hassle them to hurry up...

I would lump your sorry ass into the group that has really poor "social skills"...maybe your folks dropped you on your head? :fahq: you too...

Whatever...arch didn't describe how much of a clusterfuck she left the bottom of the route...maybe her party had shit strewn all over the place...

face it, the fellow had the courtesy to ask how long and what the wait was...he didn't hassle them to hurry up...

I would lump your sorry ass into the group that has really poor "social skills"...maybe your folks dropped you on your head? :fahq: you too...

I'm not sure why you are so upset by this, but to answer your questions:

My shit wasn't strewn anywhere. There was a rope bag, a rope, and a climber. Pretty standard stuff for climbing.

There were three of us; one was completely done, the second was being lowered, and I was only going to re-do the first half of the climb (and this was made explicit).

And I sort of do consider being moved in on like that analogous to be being hassled to get done quicker. Moreover though, I felt that it was inconsiderate to the climber who had to be lowered right down into the guy's rope bag--which he was standing right next to. In general, folks here like a little personal space. I am not so sensitive to that (as you know, Rumr, wrestling and bigwalling will rid you of that) but I do try to remember to stay out of someone else's way when I am on the ground.

Let me restate: I was not pissed off or felt like I needed to tell the guy off. I was very curious about the behavior and am now wondering if it seems weird/rude to anyone else on the board. I am not a Social Skills Maven, so I had to ask. Sorry if it pissed you off so bad.

shit iv'e seen people do stuff like that and seen the person i was climbing with get lowered down and just walk all over the rope. that ussally get it moved out of the way pretty fast. in fact i think ive done it 2. sorry but if you throw your rope down at the bottom of a climb while im on it, i wont try and step on the rope but i sure as hell am not going to do some jumping ballarena bullshit to avaiod steping on it either.

but it is still confusing to me how anyone would think that setting their rope on top of mine--literally, not figuratively--would save them time.

If his rope was right on top of your rope then why did the person who was lowering have such a hard time avoiding it? Wouldn't they have had this problem anyway? Maybe, he thought that he was putting his rope someplace that would show anybody else showing up that he was climbing next and he thought that it would be out of the way.