[TR] Mt. Jefferson - Jefferson Park Glacier 6/27/2007

Mountain_Shots

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I was backpacking in this area in early July and came across those butterflies you mentioned. It was very surreal to to see thousands of butterflies swarming over the ridgeline.

Approach was via the PCT to the south of Jeff State Park. We camped out on Park Ridge at about 7,500, looking down on the park and facing the north face of Mt Jefferson. The next morning glissaded down into the park proper and tromped around the lakes. After climbing back up to Park Ridge and having lunch, the butterflies were in full force. This was at 7,200.

One of the threads mentioned mosquitos. Yep they were there, but not as prevalent if you camped on the ridge. That was the huge factor in not camping down in the soup (with the warm weather and melt-off).

BTW - the sunsets were some of the best I have ever seen. You can see the full roll at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12597330@N03/sets/72157601841759431/with/1312328275/

I haven't been on that part of Jefferson, but that pic sure doesn't look like Oregon "alpine" rock (and that's a good thing)...

Oh, don't worry, there's some tippy boulders up there that make it feel like Oregon "alpine" rock...and it ain't such a good thing.

Nice pics, thanks for the report! I really like that route.

Edited by Chad_A