[TR] Blodgett Canyon/Shoshone Spire - 6/28/2007

spotly

Trip: Blodgett Canyon/Shoshone Spire - 06/28/07

Date: 6/28/2007

Trip Report:

Climbed this spire with NYC007 on Thur. First 3 pitches and pitch 7 were good. Pitch 4 thru 6 wandered up some really nice cracks and provided exceptional and exposed climbing. The first few moves off the belay on pitch 6 required a short but very exposed traverse that was so fun I'll probably go back again just for that pitch.

NYC007 took the harder pitches but I still had fun leading the 5.7 and under stuff. With all the pro possibilities, it was a great route for me to push a bit beyond my sharp point comfort zone. Got 2/3 up one of the 5.8 pitches, stuck in an extra cam and relinquished the lead. Mostly so I could climb it twice though :blush:

The walk-off to the top of pitch 3 was pretty obvious but steep. I did it in rock shoes but hauling the approach shoes up would have been a better option. 3 single rope raps brought us back to the packs. By the time we reached the talus it was swelting. Rushed back to the TH, drank a gallon of water then cruised back to Spokane.

I've only been climbing a few years so not tons to draw from but this is the best route I've been on so far.

Critter count: 5 or 6 wandering ticks, 1 Tick-a-biting and a camp black bear that could not be shooed off.

ShoshoneSpire_013.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

At one point Matt had knocked so many off the brush, the ground was crawling with them. We took my wife's car and she had a fit when she saw the damned things on me. I spent much time sterilizing her car.

Next time I go, I'll take a bug bath before and after and put my climbing clothes in a plastic bag dragged from the bumper. Maybe even shave my head just-in-case. Damn I hate tics :)

Recipe for tick soup.

Wear white.

Walk on brushy game trails.

Add two cups water.

Bring to a boil.

The spotted ones are females and much more likely to carry Rocky Mtn Spotted feaver.

Flick them off if possible. Use tweezers if imbedded.

Butter or cooking oil works to get them to back out. Don't expect instant results.