[TR] Mount Stuart - Complete North Ridge 8/20/2016

devinejohnny

Trip: Mount Stuart - Complete North Ridge

Date: 8/20/2016

Trip Report:

Here is some photo beta for the complete north ridge of Stuart. I figured as long as I was on a posting spree, I would throw these pictures from last summer up. I'm not sure if the day is correct, and I know the year is wrong (the drop down menue goes from the present date forward, not backwards; odd).

We hiked to Ingalls Lake in the afternoon and camped. Woke up at 4AM and went up the west ridge, then down, then up to Goat Pass, then back down to the toe of the North Ridge. We did some scouting and talked to a few parties coming off the route the day before and decided to just wear approach shoes (no crampons) and leave the ice axes in favor of a treking pole each. It was a good call for this late in the season; there was only a little snow, not very steep, and no ice. The pole was great for the descent down the Cascadian.

We belayed the first two pitches, then simul climbed to the the gendarme where we ran into a couple of other parties doing the half ridge. We had to sit around for a long time as parties moved through this bottle neck. We belayed these two pitches, then simuled to the top. Topped out at 3PM and descended the Cascadian, my knees thankful for the trekking pole.

We hiked back up to Ingalls Lake and broke our camp, starting back to the car at 6PM. We were back to the car by 9 and back in Tacoma hours later. I presented my master's thesis on teaching the next morning.

Wake up call at trailhead

Mt_Stuart_020.jpg

View of Stuart from Ingalls Lake

Mt_Stuart_021.jpg

Shallow Water Bouldering at Ingalls Lake

Mt_Stuart_055.jpg

Nap Time at the lake

Mt_Stuart_066.jpg

Billy Goat Pass from the ridge

Mt_Stuart_088.jpg

Climbers approaching the ridge higher up

Mt1.jpg

The first few pitches from the bottom of the toe

Mt_Stuart_149.jpg

Some of the fourth class area

Mt_Stuart_150.jpg

Looking over at the glacier

Mt_Stuart_084.jpg

Looking down the ridge before the gendarme

Mt_Stuart_082.jpg

Looking across the glacier at other party

Mt_Stuart_102.jpg

Close up of other party

Mt_Stuart_103.jpg

Working towards the gendarme

Mt_Stuart_091.jpgMt_Stuart_092.jpgMt_Stuart_151.jpgMt_Stuart_157.jpgMt_Stuart_153.jpg

The first pitch on the gendarme

Mt_Stuart_093.jpg

Second pitch

Mt_Stuart_099.jpgMt_Stuart_098.jpg

Summit shot

Mt_Stuart_118.jpg

Mazama box

Mt_Stuart_108.jpg

Smoke plume

Mt_Stuart_117.jpg

Balanced rock

Mt_Stuart_126.jpg

Down climb

Mt_Stuart_120.jpg

Looking back at the summit

Mt_Stuart_122.jpg

Looking back up early in the descent

Mt_Stuart_124.jpg

Great route, a must do. I can't wait to go back for a car to car.

Gear Notes:

Standard rack, single 60m folded over into double ropes, lots of runners for simul climbing.

Approach Notes:

The trail up the west ridge is a little faint in spots, but marked with cairns. There was no snow up to Billy Goat Pass. The Stuart Glacier was pretty icey, but since we were heading to the bottom of the ridge, we were able to travel mostly on low to mid angle talus and snow. No sweat for approach shoes and a trekking pole. The descent down the Cascadian was sandy and it took some concentration to get in the right gully.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic