Other talents?

Jens

What other pursuits do you do that you are waaaayyy better at then climbing?

I'm not counting anything relating to your work/profession or your supposed prowess with members of the opposite sex.

Music?

Wine tasting?

Chess?

Salsa dancing?

cooking?

fighting?

We've got a lot of posters and about half of WA's climbing community as lurkers on this site so we should get some good responses.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fatherhood

Chess

Wine tasting (yes, I know, I'm a winesnob)

Tennis

Classical music

WWII history

Everything else I suck at worse than my climbing, such as...

Violin (could never really stick with the practice schedule)

Dancing (took lessons for a few years for many different styles; gave it up once it had achieved its purpose... :eveeel:)

Skiing (as I have forsaken my former hobby of choice for climbing two decades ago)

WW kayaking (don't get out enough any more)

Bicycling (ditto)

Sailing (ditto)

Fly fishing (ditto)

I'd say I'm "average" at all of the above things that I suck at.

I'm sure there are more things that I suck at worse than these.

Hmm, I sort have to disagree with you guys who would rather be average or below average and do a ton of different things. I have decided to limit myself to certain activities so that I can continue to excell at them and be at least above average.

As for things I am way better at than climbing, I would have to say the only thing is probably cooking. I love cooking and when I was younger I really wanted to become a chef.

Things that I would say I am above average at are climbing, snowboarding and mountain biking (cycling since I road ride too). These are the three things that I limit my activities too, so that I can't really focus enrgy on improving.

Things that I dabble in and do when I get a chance are trail running, open boating, surfing, 4-wheeling, baking, stain glass, jewlery making, drawing, caving, canyoneering, drink making, brewing and weight lifting. I just don't focus any energy to these activities, there all fun, and if I have time I will mess around with them, but I would rather excell at climbing, mountain biking, and snowboarding. So some of these things I will not do for years.

In the future depending where we end up next, I would like to put the snowboard up and get back into skiing, randonee specifically. I would also like to get into being more creative and getting into a new career. I been toying with the idea of starting a custom adventure travel business, resturant daytime hours so a cafe/sandwhich shop maybe with some cateering, or welding and woodworking and create functional sculptures.

Hmm, I sort have to disagree with you guys who would rather be average or below average and do a ton of different things. I have decided to limit myself to certain activities so that I can continue to excell at them and be at least above average.

I guess it really depends how to describe average.

I would have to agree with ken4ord on this one. It is great to be decent at all sort of things, but to me it is important to have a select few things that I do better than most.

Climbing used to be the thing that I focused all my attention on and was probably the one thing I did better than everything else. Work and educational commitments have severely limited my climbing time in recent years so now I do everything better, and nothing as well as I like. I am definitely mountain biking, running, and drinking beer better than I am climbing right now. I intend to improve my fly fishing and skiing abilities, but those are second to getting back on rock.