Plastic and Crampons

rock-ice

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It really comes down to what you need the crampons for? Ice climbing, or glacier travel? You can get away with wearing the boots for most all your climbing activities. But the crampons these days are generally designed for a specific use.

What kind of boots did you get? There are several kinds of crampons that will work for general use, or as mentioned by Kweb there are specialized crampons that will work for more specific uses. It comes down to what you are planning to climb, and how often you plan on using them. Are you going for glacier walkups or waterfall ice?

The toe on plastics will be compatable with most if not all crampons, so it really comes down to the crampons being the defining use, for the most part.

TTT cool.gif" border="0

For general use with Kolfachs I use Charlet Moser 12 point crampons with the strap that clicks in around the boot, locking the toe bale to the front of the boot. There are many more here that know the details, of what to use, steel or aluminum, 10 0r 12 point, but my main advice is to stay away from the crampons that you have to lace or strap into, and 12 point. Look for general use crampons that are easy to put on, and something for a rigid boot. Ask around, just look for something simple.

TTT grin.gif" border="0

one thing to make sure of is that the toe of your plastic boot (generally bigger than a leather boot) fits well into the toepiece of your crampon. i had some serious issues on a recent trip when the straps get a little wet and loosened, so the boot slipped right out from the front. and it was even more of a pain in the ass when i was spacing out and didn't even realize it right away and had to do that much more snow slogging.

If you want an all around crampon for general mountaineering and some easy water ice on occaision I would look at the Grivel G12 and/or the Grivel 2F.

The 2F can be locked into a rigid platform 9Or stay felxible) and used on moderate water ice (Not the best but it does work). It is a greaat general mountaineering crampon. They have an agressive front point set up, more than most all others, for steep snow and alpine ice. One negative about these is the cut of the crampon encourages the "balling up" of snow. I think it was Dru that said that with these you need to learn to walk on stilts. My wife uses these and so does Wopper. Wopper uses them on Grade WI 3 ice.

The G12 is known as a crampon that fits larger boots easily. Also the size adjustment is easy and quick. These should fit your boots without having to buy an "extension" bar as you likely will with the Charlet Mosers and the 2F, especially with those skis you call feet. They have an agressive front point set up, same as the 2F, for steep snow and alpine ice. I use these crampons as my mountaineering crampons and really like them. Reasonable price too.

Get the "new-matic" binding so it will fit a wide variety of boots, not just your plastics. These are also very easy to put on and take off with gloves.

Look at the the aluminum choice too. If you are using them just for general mountaineering they can really rock. The weight difference really makes it worth looking at.

Good luck [big Drink]

P.S. Check out this thread for other beta on crampons.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000347

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Rodchester ]