Considering Bellingham...

motomagik

Just wondering, I have a potentially good job opportunity in Bellingham. I have been there before and loved the town, I am a sailor and am particularly psyched about that aspect, but what are peoples opinions on the climbing situation?

Is it really dim from Oct thru May? Does the 3 months of good weather and the proximity to Squamish/North Cascades make up for it? Here in Portland we have an easy run to Smith/Trout Creek/Tieton when things are bad on the west side, plus some local crags that are actually pretty fun for dry winter days. Basically, if I move to B-ham will I have to forget about climbing 9 months of the year? Thanks for the opinions!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, I have a potentially good job opportunity in Bellingham. I have been there before and loved the town, I am a sailor and am particularly psyched about that aspect, but what are peoples opinions on the climbing situation?

Is it really dim from Oct thru May? Does the 3 months of good weather and the proximity to Squamish/North Cascades make up for it? Here in Portland we have an easy run to Smith/Trout Creek/Tieton when things are bad on the west side, plus some local crags that are actually pretty fun for dry winter days. Basically, if I move to B-ham will I have to forget about climbing 9 months of the year? Thanks for the opinions!

If its such a good job, pay to fly to Red Rocks and J-Tree in the winter.

Well, its about a four hour drive to Vantage.

Bellingham is full of trustafarian WWU students, hippies, and dark balls of compressed rage like Justin and Bob. It's basically Boulder-on-the-Pacific. Worst of all it's only an hour from chilliwack and the stench of a million cow anuses drifts across the border regularly.

There are no decent mountains nearby. Baker is a snowy slog with less than a pitch of good ice anywhere. Shuksan (Suck-san) has had its soul stolen by millions of photographs. The rock on the Twin Sisters is so grippy that climbing there is not challenging in the slightest. canada is out unless you like cavity searches; anyways, with the way the US dollar is goin vs. the loon, soon it will cost you $100 US just to gas up in Canada and a Starbucks latte will be $40.

In short, Bellingham is a pile of crap and you shouldn't move anywhere near.

I like Bellingham. It's a good central location. Get yourself a Nexus pass so you can drive up to Canada without lubing up before you hit the border, then Squamish & all the other BC coolness is an option. Bellingham has some decent local rock that's super close so you can climb after work.

Washington Pass is 2.5 - 3 hours away so you can get out of the rain easily... ditto for Leavenworth (3-3.5hrs) and Vantage, already mentioned. Tieton is just a little past Vantage.

Yeah the weather sucks ass. Particularly now but when it doesn't suck it is spectacular. And if you like sailing you've got a good shoulder season activity. It's very popular around the San Juans.

And there's the Pickets :) You should go put a trail in there.

The 'Ham is totally jingus. You are lucky to get out of there alive after driving through the industrial part of town....the only reason it is there is so Canadians can come down and shop at Bellis Fair Mall. Oh yeah, Washington/Rainy Pass is called that for a reason..if it is raining in the 'Ham it is likely raining up there as well. Just stay away from the place it is a big black hole.

I watched a man get beaten to death with a baseball bat, on the corner of Railroad and Holly, during an argument over meth. I've had my car broken into numerous times. I had all my gear stolen out of my car while it was parked in front of my house. I've had my house broken into several times, and once I chased a meth-fueled black man out of my house when I woke up while he was sexually assaulting my sleeping wife. I'm telling you, STAY AWAY.

L-Worth..rainshadow yes. The problem is that winter is still winter. So from late October to spring it is cold and snowy over there.

No doubt. Plus the fact that Baker never ever goes off makes winter so much more suck in the ham.

I like Bellingham! I have climbed at Mt. Erie in November and had 60 degree weather before. Many times I have climbed there when it was raining in the ham. Bellingham also has less rainfall than Seattle on average. I don't think Bellingham is dark and dismall at all. Maybe it's because i have lived in Western WA almost my whole life and that's what i'm used to though. Went up to Squamish last weekend (1 hour and 45 mins away for world class climbing!) and there's always Skaha if it's raining in Squamish.

People are friendly here, downtown has good restaurants and shops, you can bike pretty much anywhere, and when the sun is out, it is amazing. Honestly, if you're considering moving anywhere in Western Washington other than like, Squim, you're going to have to deal with rainy days. Suck it up and buy a rain jacket.