To Plastic or Not

NShighlander

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Unfortunately, Koflak just went out of business.

Where did u hear this? :(

I was looking all over for a new pair of Degres to replace my trashed old ones, and even online I could only funky size in both models, not just Degres, like 5,6,7 and 12,13,14 and they quit selling them at REI (they don't know shit there "Why you quit selling these?" "I dunno."), so I went to Second Ascent, and that's where they told me that Koflach went out of business.

I went to Second Ascent, and that's where they told me that Koflach went out of business.

IME in SLC had a notice up on official Atomic letterhead - they bought Koflach and decided not to continue the mountaineering boots. Not sure what that leaves, but no more Degre Arctis or Vertical.

I went to Second Ascent, and that's where they told me that Koflach went out of business.

IME in SLC had a notice up on official Atomic letterhead - they bought Koflach and decided not to continue the mountaineering boots. Not sure what that leaves, but no more Degre Arctis or Vertical.

Looks like they're pretty much mainly a consignment shop, so they probably just bought out the remaining stock and are selling it off.

clarifying my previous post:

Atomic, the international ski and boot manufacturer that owns and manufactures the Koflach brand mountaineering boot, has sent a letter to authorized retailers stating that the Koflach boot line has been discontinued and will no longer be made, no longer be supported, and parts and repairs no longer available. Any remaining stock at any and all retailers is the final stock and will not be replaced. Atomic has not gone out of business, nor has Koflach, which is not an independent company.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

"Used" Koflachs in common sizes on ebay are going for retail or more, my new Kolfachs are being worn by a the thief who smashed my window on my truck to steal all my climbing gear last summer in the Costco parking lot,

I do have a pair of Sportiva leathers however having a number of miles on them they flex like regular shoes now, causing me to have to adjust my crampons every 20 min or so, or have them "pop off" at the worst times.

I really like the Koflach fit, ASOLO doesnt feel right to me, REI will have a rental gear sell off this spring,they have a room full of Koflach's, I will be there.

As a side note: I sorta joked with the rental cleark at REI, about renting a pair of boots amd maybe losing them and then just paying them for the lost boot's, SHE DIDN'T THINK THAT WAS VERY DAMN FUNNY! : )

Which REI is having a used gear/boots sale?? I asked my local REI guy if i could just buy a pair of Koflachs off them, and he told me if they were being sold they would appear in scratch and dent sales. But, i wonder what their "lost boot policy" is..... I also looked at craigslist for all of seattle and portland, and nobody had a useful size. Damn Atomic!

It was the flagship store, and as I mentioned, my joking with the clerk about it didn't go over well at all, she gave me the "stink eye" pulled back the rental price list, as you may be aware REI doesnt require a $$ deposit for it's members.( another clerk laughed it off though)

She did say it would be spring time that their rental gear would be up for sale.

It was the flagship store, and as I mentioned, my joking with the clerk about it didn't go over well at all, she gave me the "stink eye" pulled back the rental price list, as you may be aware REI doesnt require a $$ deposit for it's members.( another clerk laughed it off though)

She did say it would be spring time that their rental gear would be up for sale.

Wonder what they'd do? Ban you? :grlaf:

REI has the right to charge whatever fee they want for lost boots. If they object to people intentionally losing their rentals, they should charge a higher fee, or have you sign an "I will not try anything sneaky" form.

Anyway, regarding plastic boots-- It's like a tent: you could spend $500 on an expedition tent and carry all 11 lbs. of it on your pleasant summertime overnights, but you could also just get a much lighter 3-season tent that would serve you well most of the time, and find some other solution for the rare instances when you'll need a big bombshelter.

I'm on a very tight budget, too, and here's what's let me climb year round in Alaska:

Scarpa Invernos: $10, retired from the NOLS rental fleet.

Extra set of high altitude liners: $40 on eBay

Aku Extreme leather boots (these are uninsulated, basically like a La Sportiva Glacier or Makalu): $250

I wear the Akus until it gets too cold, then the Scarpas. If the climbing is too technical for big boots, then I just go climb something else. I used to have La Sportiva Trango EVOs and Asolo Summits additionally-- two technical, specialized boots --but I ended up selling them and putting that money elsewhere. Having a four pairs of boots really wasn't making my life twice as fun as only having two pairs, so it seemed a poor investment.

My suggestion, then, is to think hard on what you'll realistically be doing the most of-- not what boot would "cover all the bases" --and get a boot for that. And the corollary is, what you're doing most of the time probably won't be cold or long enough to make a plastic boot mandatory, so you might as well start with a single boot.

Have fun!

So, to qualify my last post:

If you find that your single boots just aren't warm enough, though, then I would supplement them with a really warm double boot. It seems that while you'd seldom need the double boot, in the situations where you would, the additional weight and bulk are going to be well worth the added warmth and safety.

I say this because it seems attractive to try to split the difference between a single boot and a plastic boot with the La Sportiva K4S, Vasque Super Alpinista, etc. I think if you're just getting into all this, though, you'd be better off having two pairs (leather single and a plastic or synthetic double)to cover a very wide range of conditions rather than having one boot to cover the middle with diminishing performance on the ends.

A fairly personal choice, though, so don't take my word for anything.

A supergaiter and RBH Designs socks will keep the snow off and sweat out of your leathers on a multiday trip, although you could probably just buy eBay plastics for the same amount of money.

Have fun!

Edited by elliottwill

I just finished 3 days of ice in N. Hampshire with the alpinistas. Daily temps ranged from 9-16 degrees. I never had any problems with the cold and the boots gave a very precise and light feel-when compared to my koflachs from last season. I used grivel rambo's--no problems with articulation and function. I used a thin liner and midweight synthetic sock. I wish I had transistioned to these boots two years ago.

• 1 month later...