Condition of road/trail to Static Point?

Alyosha

Has anyone been to Static Point this season? Is the road/trail affected by the latest round of washouts from this autumn/winter? Is the description of how to get there in the "Sky Valley Rock" guidebook still (somewhat) accurate?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several culverts on the side of the trail till you get to the real ones. The fake ones are off the trail a little bit. Ignore those and small trails that seem to break off. these belong to lost spirits bent on dragin you to same demise as the spirit previously. If you trip over a big culvert on the trail, then you are one the right one. It seems farther on the trail than you would think. Look for a nice "climbers trail". Follow steeply to the crags. I think the guidebook has a good description.

As you cross the wash immediately before the "right" culvert, you can look up and see some granite up on the hillside. You are not looking at the Static Point formation itself, rather something up and left of it, but the granite is unmistakeable. There used to be a cairn on the culvert here, and the trail cuts back up the bank at an angle, up and left.

i was up there about a month ago and it was fine. there is a tree down and a washout right near the end of the road. there is a little turn out that we parked in before the downed tree.

the guide book description is accurate except that you will cross lots of medium size washes. Also there is one culvert almost right in the trail about 5 minutes before the turn off, don't be fooled by that one. Also the trail is a pretty nice trail, if you are bushwacking you didn't find it.

If you were going to be in up near the top, I was going to ask you to look for something.

You might consider the climbing the first few pitches of Online or the corners to its left and then scooting over to Tombstone Ledge. Once there take a look at the Fly as it is not as runout as the average Static Point route. (if my memory serves me correctly) There is a really good 5.10 you can TR from the anchor.

I was up there on Wednesday. The trail along the old road is getting overgrown fast, so I brought along a machete and it's better now! Also, the road has a new cave-in making the walk about 50 yards longer than last year.

Also, the route called The Pillar has been rebolted with nice fat 3/8" stainless. New chain anchors, too. Great route.