Questions about Bend, OR

mneagle

I just heard about a potential job in Bend, Oregon. I have a good job in Colorado with good access to RMNP, Eldo, etc but the job in Bend looks like it would actually have better hours (= more time to actually climb, ski, travel, etc). My only experience with the area was one weekend trip to Smith about 8 years ago.

Here are my questions...

How much multipitch stuff is near Bend?

How is the skiing at Mt. Bachelor?

How far is the drive to backcountry skiing?

Where is the closest ice climbing?

Is there any good granite in the area?

Is Bend a decent places to live these days?

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard about a potential job in Bend, Oregon. I have a good job in Colorado with good access to RMNP, Eldo, etc but the job in Bend looks like it would actually have better hours (= more time to actually climb, ski, travel, etc). My only experience with the area was one weekend trip to Smith about 8 years ago.

Here are my questions...

How much multipitch stuff is near Bend?

Smith is near Bend, so that plus some other smaller crags.

How is the skiing at Mt. Bachelor?

Bachelor terrain is fun cruisers, but the mgmt Sux - www.bachelorliberationfront.org

How far is the drive to backcountry skiing?

Lots of skiing within 30min to 2-3 hours

Where is the closest ice climbing?

Classic Central Oregon Ice is a rare bird, but does come in once in a while. Mountain / Glacier Ice is around

Is there any good granite in the area?

no

Is Bend a decent places to live these days?

If you have money to live and buy property, and don't have to work too much....

Thanks.

Edited by matty_g

Multipitch: Not a ton, there's multi-pitch stuff at Smith, but nothing over 5 or 6 pitches. The local mountains are volcanic, so the rock is mank, but there's a few multi-pitch routes on Mt. Washington.

Skiing at Mt. Bachelor is great... depending on what you're looking for. Great powder, great trees... but it is not steep, not very "colorado-like", Hood has some steeper terrain. Backcountry skiing is all over between .5 hrs to however far you want to drive, ton's. I love Bachelor, consistently the best tree skiing of anywhere I've ever skied.

Closest ice climbing spots only come in sometimes, there .5 hrs away. The closest consistent ice is at Lake Tahoe (7hrs) or Lillooet BC (10hrs)... Ice does come in at Hood River (2 - 3 hrs) and the columbia river gorge (3 hrs), Vantage comes in (4.5hrs), Castle Crags comes in (4hrs). There is good alpine ice in the Sisters (.5 hrs) and on Hood (2 hrs)

Good granite in the area? No, closest is Castle Crags (4hrs), or City of Rocks (8hrs), there is multi-pitch granite in the Wallowas (4hrs).

In summary: you will not find better skiing or climbing here than what you're used too, and the ice will be disappointing without driving a ways... However Bend is a cool place to live, pretty good night-life, less douchebags (I kid the CO'ers... or do I?), the ocean ain't far, Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco are nearby, decent mountain biking, great weather, and plenty to occupy your time.

-Scotty

Just my opinion. I grew up in Fort Collins, and I would say Bend is pretty cool, but much smaller. Fewer pubs and microbreweries, no college scene or vibe from CSU. No Oldtown. The real estate market in Bend seems a little out of control. Hundreds of homes sitting empty, and not that many buying. A lot of California money coming in.

Bachelor is a moderate mountain, but very-very fun to ski on. Agree 100% about the tree skiing. Ponderosa Pines perfectly spaced. The 'backcountry' sides of the mountain are quiet and interesting riding.

The nearby mountaineering is moderate, but accessible and beautiful. I prefer RMNP over the local Bend stuff, but if you include the entire PNW the Rockies can't hold a candle. Shasta to the south, Hood, St Helens, Adams, Rainier, North Cascades to the north. Whistler, BC within reach. Maybe about as far as FC to the Tetons.

Smith Rock is a great little cragging area. Hundreds of climbs, but I could spend as blissful a day on pitch-penny and the pinch overhang at Horsetooth Rez. I could spend everyday on Longs Peak.

There is some world class mountain biking over the pass enroute to Eugene. Keep heading west until you find the ocean. Something you won't find in Colorado.

I've lived in CO (summit county) and Bend, I'd have to say that I prefer Bend. It is similar to CO as far as weather (beatiful springs and summers, dry snow in winters) and landscape (desert). There are actually thousands of routes at Smith (not hundreds) and there are new ones springing up everyday. As far as multipitch, I always ended up driving to the N. Cascades (which is where I live now).

As far as skiing: I think it's better in the PNW than CO. More snow, year round descents (and I'm not talking about that pitiful "glacier" that CO claims off I-70, marysville or something??). It's also nice to be able to ski in the backcountry without seeing full-depth slides adjacent to you all the time, and without having the threat of the sheriff hunting you down, although at Bachelor they have a closed boundary policy. The good news about that is, Mt.Hood Meadows is about 1.75 hours from Bend and has waaaaay better terrain, and season passes are about 1/2 as much $.

Check out the Moon Mountain Ramblers for good bluegrass if you end up in Bend.

I agree, the snow is better at Bachelor, and Bachelor is overall a way better resort than Meadows, but meadows has more pitch right off the main chairs...

If you're into graceful high speed cruising on groomers, Bachelor is awesome. If you're looking for trees, Bachelor is awesome. If you're looking for great powder, a consistently ample snowpack, and long fast chairlifts, Bachelor is awesome. Great terrain parks too. Just not a lot of steep skiing...

-Scotty

Mt.Hood Meadows is about 1.75 hours from Bend and has waaaaay better terrain

I live in Portland and Meadows is my regular ski area-- Bachelor's terrain beats Meadows' terrain any day, with better snow and less crowds to boot.

Dude, sorry but you're f-in crazy. Of course it may depend on what type of terrain you're into. If you're talking about 15 degree cruisers, then yeah Mt. B wins. If you want the kind of stuff you can still ski when there's more than 8 inches of new, then you obviously haven't done much exploring at Meadows.