Looking for route to do with my dad

nalo

I used to live in seattle but now reside in SoCal. I'll be back near the end of July for the sister's wedding and I want to go get on something easy with my 55 y.o. dad. He's pretty fit but no climbing experience. I was thinking about the tooth, and other ideas? How hard can a 50 yo guy climb if you stick him in some rock shoes and put him on toprope?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

South Arete of S. Early Winter Spire. Easy, outstanding climbing. Should be cooler up at the pass.

pretty much a perfect fit for a dude of that description - though he'll probably need to rap a real short section or two on the way back down (or i guess you could just lower him)

These suggestions so far are funny. Why don't you take him cragging first before you scare the shit out of him on exposed multipitch. Not that he couldn't do it, but jeeze, if the guy (55yo btw) has never climbed before, give him a taste first..

Actually, I kind of like the idea of scaring the crap out of him... lol. Anyway, this is kind of a one shot deal, cause of time limitations and the fact that I live 1300 miles away. I'm not trying to turn him into a climber, just trying to go climbing. He's done a fair amount of alpine hiking and stuff, even some 3rd class scrambles, so I think he'll be able to keep his head together. SEWS sounds good... I've actually done that route before, and the ambiance can't be beat. My only complaint is that I'm planning to do the east buttress a few days later and descend the South Arete, and I don't really want to drive back and forth to washington pass twice. Anyone done vesper peak up by dtown? looks pretty nice to me.

thanks for the input, I appreciate it, and so does keith.

Edited by nalo

South Arete of S. Early Winter Spire. Easy, outstanding climbing. Should be cooler up at the pass.

pretty much a perfect fit for a dude of that description - though he'll probably need to rap a real short section or two on the way back down (or i guess you could just lower him)

Another vote for the South Arete

South Arete - SEWS

Da Toof

South Face - Ingalls

N. Face - Vesper (though the lower section might be a little hard and it is loose, when on the slab it clean and solid)

East Ridge - Forbidden

Blueberry Face?? - Exfloiation Dome

West Ridge/Face - D. ( Douglas, Donald, something, somebody help here, can't remember the name of the mountain up in Snoqualmie Pass off of the PCT, WR/F is 5.5 similar to Das Toof but not as much traffic longer hike)

Becky Route - Liberty Bell