Olympus via Bailey Traverse?

alpenho

Anyone have experience/info on approaching the summit of Olympus from the south end of the Bailey Range Traverse? My idea is to make a loop of it, starting from the N end of the Bailey, then exiting on the Hoh, via Olympus summit. Is this do-able, and if so what kind of skills/equipment are needed?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The key to this trip is chosing your camps. Queet Basin is a must, and you'll find a great camp on a bench above the basin as you traverse west from Bear Pass (N side of Basin). Another great camp is on the Humes moraine next to the creek. Several bivy sites here with scattered plane wreckage. Camp Pan is also very special--just depends on how you're progressing. I think a must is a night on Five Fingers, just below the summit. Lot's of room and unbeatable views at dusk. Glacier Meadows is often buggy, so a trip out from the summit or a final night at Lewis Meadow is a good way to end the trip. I've done this trip twice, once in 6 nights and the other in 7 and both times was very happy not to rush it. It's definately worth savoring this trip and bagging Pulitzer, Queets or Athena along the way.