CiloGear 60L & 20L Review

einzelgaenger80

I picked up the CiloGear 60L and the 20L the a few months ago. After playing with them both, thought I would toss up a brief review:

They are freaking great.

I attach the 20L to the back of the 60L when I am doing any kind of extended alpine trip where it is convenient to have quick access items within quick reach (rescue equip, first aid, snacks, screws, pulleys, phone, etc) -- and I do not have to overfill the lid and make looking up annoying. The 20L itself works great as a cragging pack, summit bag, or what-have-you. It attaches easily to the larger pack.

The strap configurations allow one to quickly and securely attach anything to the outside (esp useful as one sheds layers, switches tools, etc). During a recent extended alpine trip I had my two ice axes, mountaineering ax, crampons, pickets, trekking poles, wands, and shovel all strapped securely to the outside of the pack in a nice compact cluster down the middle of the pack - the flexibility of the strap system allowed me to do this. I also glasscaded about 4,000 ft with all that stuff on the back and nothing fell off (along with a pad, helmet, and other various items strapped on back there). The ability to compress the sack into a smaller summit bag )but with the capacity to have all your “emergency” equipment) was nice. The materials are of high quality in all the right places; the ice axe "sleeve" design is also very thoughtful.

And really the best part of the packs lies in the owner, Graham. He is easily accessible, listens to any issues, and works with you to get them resolved. It is refreshing to have a pack like this and still have access to the maker.

Anyways ... they art great packs and buying one is a great way to support a small business and a fellow climber who decided to take a step forward in pack design.

edit: here is an image of a 2 day load.

HABHeaaBf

Edited by einzelgaenger80

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, do you live anywhere in the greater Seattle area? I would love to get a chance to check out your pack, I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and buy a 60L worksack but i just can't quite shell out the money without having at least seen one first.

Thanks

I've got the newer 60L. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I removed the aluminum stay to make it lighter and more comfortable. The straps are useful for really dialing in the load. However, I did get a small tear in the pack fabric near one of the strap points from cranking the compression too tight, though. :(

My biggest complaint is that the shoulder strap material is not bonded to the padding inside the strap -- the cover material slips around, causing the load lifters and sternum straps to shift into uncomfortable positions along the strap.

I placed a couple of strategic stitches, but they aren't strong enough to hold the material in place. I think I'll get a couple of bartacks thrown on there to hold it down. In the meantime, I'm constantly readjusting the fabric to get it back in place.

Also, the zippers on the lid seem kinda cheap -- the metal zipper pulls have already broken off. Luckily, the zipper itself is still OK, I just threaded some shoelace material through the zipper head to replace the missing pulls.

Overall, a great pack -- super lightweight and adjustable. :tup:

Rob, the exact thing has happened to my pack. Basically all the padding is now in the front, and not on your shoulders. Its impossible now to get a comfortable fit and I cant get the padding to adjust to the right possition. So I was going to get pictures of it and send them to cilogear, hopefully they will do something about it, and I believe they will. I tool the stay out as well and find it more comfortable. No problems with the fabric here.

I was taking a much needed break from work this weekend.

The shoulder strap twisting is a Bad Thing. I am happy to take care of it for you. Just get in touch with me. It takes about ten minutes of work to get the tacks in and a pack back in the box. However, the shipping thing is definitely a PIA...so, for Seattle area folks, I'll call Rainy Pass this morning and see what kind of deal I can work out with them.

The packs currently being shipped out have tacks in the shoulder straps so that the twisting doesn't occur.

Maxtrax,

I've got a 60L that I could show you - I live in the Queen Anne area and work downtown. This weekend I'm going to Mt. Baker, but I can meet up with you an evening next week or next weekend. PM me. The pack is dope. I've only had it for a few months, but it carries very nicely and is definitely durable.

Jared

Some similar issues I had with the pack were jumped on immediately by Graham. I didn't really mind too much -- the pros of the pack far outweighed, for me, a couple R&D issues. A fair trade off for having a manufacturer who actually listens to comments and suggestions.

.. not to mention I am in NYC most of the time and can go to give him my pack to look at in person! :)

the address is:

CiloGear

155 Sullivan St. #1

Brooklyn, NY 11231

BTW: it's been between 99 and 104 in my office for the past few days. It's just too hot to work for me. My new A/C was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but they didn't show. Hopefully, everything will cool off tomorrow and I'll be able to get back to work.