[TR] MT Thielsen - Classic Route 6/9/2007

gt5816v

Trip: MT Thielsen - Classic Route

Date: 6/9/2007

Trip Report:

My buddy Zak and I arrived at the trail head at 10am after seeing a black bear run across the road. Book said 4-6 hours up and back... The weather was overcast but the summit was visible as we hit the trail. Hoofed it up to the PCT intersection with a few sections of snow covered trail. It's every bit of 4 miles in my estimation :cry: , different books call out 3-4 miles. Weather started moving in as we got on the climbers trail. Not much snow on the way up, glad I brought axes, pons, rope, screws, etc.. :tdown: Clouds descended, visibility was 50-100ft and it started misting. We hit the summit spire at 2pm. I looked at it and kicked myself for bringing any gear. :anger: If there were some visibility I would have dorked around on some of the other routes but given the conditions I decided to suck up my gear mistake, drop the pack and free up the 5.0 route. The summit is so small it was kinda spooky in the fog. I couldn't see anything but what I was standing on and I knew it dropped probably 500ft onto the south slopes... :skull: Scrambled back down picked up my anchor and proceeded down the ridge. Gained the trail and slogged back to the trail head. By 6pm we were back on the road and then another black bear ran across.

Then :brew: :brew:

parking_lot.jpg

boots.jpg

summit_view.jpg

rope.jpg

zak.jpg

me1.jpg

summit3.jpg

zak_summit.jpg

Gear Notes:

I wasn't sure what the conditions would be like higher up so I just brought all my stuff. I'd say for a June and later or possibly even May and later climb no technical gear is needed.

Approach Notes:

Mosquito's weren't too bad and totally disappeared by the PCT. I'd like to climb this sucker in winter, not sure if the highway is plowed though?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

John:

There are a couple of bolts on the pinnacle. I was up a couple summers ago. I have read that most people don't rope at least in summer (I didn't) but I saw at least two bolts.

If the rock was a bit more Jeff, Jack, or Washington-like, I'm sure there'd be more roped teams!

I didn't see any bolts but there was a sling in good condition. I could have easily missed bolts given the conditions though.

I was really shocked how long it took us but we were f'n around with mole skins and gearing up and down with the weather changes.

I guess I better learn how to use my BC skis....