Hood in late August

Heywood

I'm thinking about giving Mount Hood a try from the south side the last week in August. Can anyone tell me what conditions to expect? I've been up there in January and February, but never in the summer months. What's it like?

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definetly bring 'pons, just for the fact that it gets steeper later in the year and generally the snow gets harder (if there's any left). For that matter, you'll want an ice ax too if you're not comfortable on 35-40 degree snow.

Most people start at 2 or 3 am, although in August I'd say the earlier the better depending on how fast your party is.

The crowds on Hood are always thick on weekends on the South Side in the summer.

I did a trip up there late July one year and it was even lamer than Hood normally is. There was ash everywhere and than only section that had snow on it was short bit below the summit and it was solid blue ice.. Go hit the beach instead..

There are actually some stellar routes on Hood (especially for the ski mountaineer) if you go in the right conditions: Cooper Spur, Sunshine Route, Sandy Headwall, Leuthold, not to mention the benefit of year-round access and a surprising sense of remoteness if you get off the cattle route. baa

if you must climb a volcano in august, mts rainier and baker are much, much better options

better still, go play in the north cascades national park! the cascade pass area is perfect that time of year.

do yourself a favor.

I climbed the hogback route on Aug 26 a few years back. If conditions are the same as I encountered, here is what to expect:

It's no big sweat until you get above the bergschrund, which by then is a huge gapping maw that you have to end-run on the left. Then the snow is deeply suncupped and littered with hundreds of rocks of all sizes, which tells you why it isn't so smart to climb up there at that time of year! The snow runs out a couple hundred feet from the summit and then it is a scree slog to the top.

I have no plans to repeat that lapse of all sense. The rockfall potential is too big a risk. None came down on me that time, but I was just lucky!

If you like the sound of rocks screaming by your head, your in for a real treat. Frontpointing on frozen ash is something not everyone enjoys, but you will have the summit to yourself.. I enjoy Three Fingered Jack that time of year.

I did a trip up there late July one year and it was even lamer than Hood normally is. There was ash everywhere and than only section that had snow on it was short bit below the summit and it was solid blue ice.. Go hit the beach instead..

A PDXer slamming Hood! SHAME ON YOU!