Bolivia...

chris_stolz

Has anybody on here been rock climbing in Bolivia? I'm going for a few months and am wondering if there is decent cragging or alpine rock there. I've looked at the guide which has high and very technical (and remote) alpine mixed routes, and snow walk-ups onto volcanoes (boring).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aside from the roadside crag in la paz, i was at laguna negra, at 5,000m. there was a very long wall with tons of potential. too bad for us it was snowing so we opted out. i'm sure these would all be FA's. getting there is half the fun. if you want to know more send me a pm.

• 4 weeks later...

The Quimsa Cruz region south of La Paz supposedly has good long routes-- check out the guidebooks (Mesili or Brain)-- but I haven't been there (yet). Looks like some volcanic tuff (ala Smith Rocks) on the way between La Paz and Sajama right off the road that has seen a little exploration but nothing documented. PM me and I'll send you a link (although I don't log on frequently).

Peru has way better rock climbing than Bolivia. Bolivia has a lot of steep snow and ice routes and very few true walk-ups. Peru has a little bit more rock. I have climbed rock in Zona Sur in La Paz, but it's just roadside sport climbing.

The Sphynx in Peru has a number of long (IV-V) routes on it. Check out Brad Johnson's book for more info... There are a lot of long cool rock routes in Peru, but the info in the U.S. is limited. There is a lot of beta in Huarez at the Cafe Andino and at one of the hostals...but unfortunately I can't remember which one.

Good luck!

Jason