size matters

verticalturtle

Actually, the Khamsin 62 is kinda hard to find. As a self proclamed cheap bastard, I went searching around for a good deal last month. MEC in Vancouver did not carry it nor did I find it in any of the shops within a block. REI only had it in a small.

I ended up buying it from a Seattle shop who had sent me a 15% off coupon in the mail. I haven't really used it yet so I can't give a review.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For lighter loads, I like my Arcteryx Khamshin. But when I"m going to carry a stove and tent, rock rack, and a couple days' food, I much prefer the McHale. The extra pount or two of pack weight more than makes up for itself when I'm putting even a moderate load in it.

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: mattp ]

Lizard -I don't remember the size number, but I could check when I go home. As to the belt, I agree that if you are carrying a light load it is not as important as it might be for a heavy load, and the thinner belt may be more acceptable. However, I generally hike the pack up so that the belt is completely above my hips rather than wrapping around the hips as so many salespeople seem to suggest, and even with the full on McHale waist belt I find the interference with my harness to be acceptable.

The issue may relate as much to the type of harness you wear as it does the type of waist strap on your pack. For mountaineering, I generally use a lighter harness that has no gear loops on it, but for rock climbing I wear a harness with gear loops that hang below rather than tilting out above the waist strap. And although these remain accessible, I tend to use them less because, particularly for those gear loops in back, I frequently find it clumsy to fumble around below the pack when reaching for gear. I do at times fumble with or have to unclip the pack-belt buckles when clipping/unclipping an anchor at my waist, so sometimes I will use the loop of the climbing rope that is my tie-in point as a belay loop, or when rappelling I will sometimes add an extra locking ‘biner at my waist and rappel off the second ‘biner in a chain. - Matt