Family hike near Mt. Baker (any ideas?)

chesterboo

This coming weekend, the wife and I are taking the kids up to a place called Snow Water near Mt. Baker. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas about good family hikes that would be reasonable for kids in the 8 and 6 year old range and hopefully close to where we are staying (If anybody knows where Snow Water is, I don't know) I don't know the area very well so keep that in mind. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This coming weekend, the wife and I are taking the kids up to a place called Snow Water near Mt. Baker. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas about good family hikes that would be reasonable for kids in the 8 and 6 year old range and hopefully close to where we are staying (If anybody knows where Snow Water is, I don't know) I don't know the area very well so keep that in mind. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Pretty sure snow water is up near glacier, on the MT Baker Hwy. If that's the case, There's lots of stuff up at the end of the highway (Lake Ann, ptarmigan ridge, table mt, chain lakes, etc) that would be good for kids. Most of that stuff is fairly popular, so you might dig a bit deeper if you're planning on going on a weekend.

With where the snowline is, and some road closures, your options are actually somewhat limited. The Lk Ann / Table Mt area in particular is sure to be all snow.

The Hannegan Pass trail is reasonable for kids, it doesn't start really gaining til 3 miles in (and by then you'll hit the snow). Another idea is to walk the Anderson Ck road system just behind Silver Fir camp. There used to be nice beaver ponds back there.

Immediately by the first bridge past Glacier there's a short trail along the river (maybe too short for what you have in mind).

Don't know road state, and also probably still mostly snow, but Damfino Lks way up the Canyon Ck road is a good kid hike.

Probably too snowy up high but you could have fun driving to the end of the road at Artist Point, playing in the snow and going for a short walk. Your best bet is to get bagel sandwiches at Grahams down the road 2 or 3 miles in Glacier. You could also check out the visitor center just shy of Artist Point if it's open and hike around Bagly Lakes which may be snow-free (just watch out for the kraken!) Later in the year a hike around Table Mtn and camping in the Chain Lakes area is great kid fun.

With where the snowline is, and some road closures, your options are actually somewhat limited. The Lk Ann / Table Mt area in particular is sure to be all snow.

The Hannegan Pass trail is reasonable for kids, it doesn't start really gaining til 3 miles in (and by then you'll hit the snow). Another idea is to walk the Anderson Ck road system just behind Silver Fir camp. There used to be nice beaver ponds back there.

Immediately by the first bridge past Glacier there's a short trail along the river (maybe too short for what you have in mind).

Don't know road state, and also probably still mostly snow, but Damfino Lks way up the Canyon Ck road is a good kid hike.

I always liked those snowy hikes when I was a kid. Come to think of it, Table Mountain is probably out of the question, but Bagley lakes could be good, and might be worth checking out the twin lakes road. Do the kids have gaiters? They might really like a snow hike.

You've already got plenty of advice, but here are a few specifics: Beaver ponds are a mile or less up the Anderson Creek road down a short, steep hill to the right. You'll see them through the trees, but there's a lot of lake/pond/swamp down there and I don't know if or where the beavers might be. Good for kids ready to find adventure everywhere, not for kids accustomed to video games and fast-cut TV shows. Tree down blocking the road a few more miles in after it starts to climb.

Twin Lakes road is open, despite all the signs saying it's not. Gets a bit rough just before the switchback at the Yellow Astor/Tomyhoi Lake trailhead, but passable in skillfully-driven 2 wheel drive. Nice valley, but watch for wet slides in warm or rainy weather if you go further up the road toward Twin Lakes.

Don't know about Hannegan Pass trail this year, but I presume it's still a gentle grade with some easy creek and avalanche debris crossings for the first four miles. Pretty walk. Every so often you get lucky and see bears foraging.

The trail along the river just outside of Glacier is a good evening stroll if you're staying in town. Once saw a freshly-dead bobcat along the side of that trail. With kids it might take a couple of hours.

The first several Church Mountain road washouts are repaired, but the final one near the end of the road is not. Steep trail (at least for kids) but nice views. But steep.

Canyon Creek I heard is washed out, but is probably snow-covered anyway towards the end of the road. I'd be pretty sure Damfino Lakes is still inaccessible or snow-covered.

If I was up there with a 6-year-old, I'd equip him/her for walking on snow, drive to the upper ski area parking lot and start wandering around—down to Bagley Lakes or up to Artist Point. Assume you won't achieve any particular destination and maybe be pleasantly surprised if you do. At that age, most of the fun is in mini-adventuring along the way (or riding a sled next to the parking lot), not in getting to a particular viewpoint. Forget this at your peril.

Keep an eye on the kids even in good visibility, since people have and will continue to fall off little cliffs in that area and die. In bad vis, the Artist Point ridge is famously confusing, so unless you know the area well, don't even bother. Table Mountain is great, but probably out of reach for a six year old unless he/she is made of seriously stern stuff.

Here's the advice you really need: You're staying in Glacier. I assume the Visitor Center in town is open at least on weekends. Go there first; they're pretty attuned to the family scene, and will have better ideas than any of us. They'll also have maps, parking passes and other essentials. Nothing will be open up above—no ski area, no daypass booth, no visitor center, no place to buy food or warm up. Might be a ranger/cop giving tickets for parking without a Forest Pass, though.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Thanks for the great advice, Mark. I think the key is in finding miniadventures for the kids. There will be four kids and 4 adults and among all toughness varies as in any subset. No video game players here but certainly different constitutions to our makeups. Cheers to all for the great advice. Can we just go up to the ski area and start walking up the hill and bring sleds? I have never been there so I am not sure if this is ok?

Haven't seen anyone else suggest it. Not sure about conditions this time of year (river might be too high), but Nooksack Cirque is a low elevation, nice ramble up a river valley. If you get to the head of the valley you are right below the north side of Shuksan w/ hanging glaciers above you and lots of avalanche debris at the base of the cliffs. Pretty cool, primal looking place. I haven't been there in years though. If I remember correctly the trail starts out thru the woods, eventually dumps you out along the river (NF Nooksack) and the trail all but disappears, you just pick your way along up the valley.

Can we just go up to the ski area and start walking up the hill and bring sleds? I have never been there so I am not sure if this is ok?

This is totally ok, and highly recommended. If it's looking likely to rain, head uphill along the snowcovered state highway for a half-mile or less and you'll see the summer visitor center on the right. The downhill side of this building has a porch you can use to get out of the rain.

Try not to pay attention to anyone who suggests you take your 6-8 year old kids up the riverbed to Nooksack Cirque.

enjoy,

Mark

Try not to pay attention to anyone who suggests you take your 6-8 year old kids up the riverbed to Nooksack Cirque.

My bad. Like I said it's been a long time since I was there. The only time I did go the river was low and I was able to cross back and forth across it easily several times.

It's probably not so low right now. That sucker can be scary. That does sound like a fun idea for a late-season hiking trip if the brush doesn't get too bad.

Send your kid on the log walk over the north fork and have a nice hike to Price Lake:

02JoshLog.JPG

:crosseye: