[TR] Conness/North Peak - Glacier/NW Ridge - 6/17

off_the_hook

Trip: Mount Conness/North Peak - Conness Glacier/NW Ridge

Date: 6/18/2007

Trip Report:

At 5:25 am Sunday morning I set out from Saddlebag Lake to the Northwest Ridge of North Peak. I caught early morning light at the basin below North Peak and stopped many times for reflection photos.

conness0018.JPG

conness0002.JPG

conness0004.JPG

North_Peak_Pan-sm.JPG

North_Peak-sm.JPG

North-sm.JPG

NW_Ridge-sm.JPG

The Northwest Ridge of North Peak was a sweet route with nice exposure and views down to Upper MaCabe Lake. It was short though, and I was atop the summit of North Peak at 7:55 am.

conness0007.JPG

conness0005.JPG

conness0010.JPG

View of the Northwest Ridge of North Peak and Sawtooth Ridge in the distance.

North_Peak_View-sm.JPG

After resting on the summit, I headed down toward the Conness Glacier. I wasted some time figuring out a route through steep slabs (hoping I could avoid elevation loss) when should have just went around.

conness0011.JPG

Once on the Conness Glacier, I cruised up to the couloirs that went to the East Ridge. I chose the middle couloir sneaking around a bergshrund around the far right side (photo below). The couloir had hard snow so I ascended carefully with my trail runner/crampon set-up.

conness0012.JPG

conness0013.JPG

Once atop the coulior it was a short walk to the summit of Conness, arriving at 10 am. On top of Conness, I enjoyed the views with a climber who had done the NW Ridge of North Peak earlier in the morning and soloed the North ridge of Conness while I did the Conness glacier.

conness0016.JPG

View of Lyell Canyon.

conness0014.JPG

View from Conness to Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne

conness0015.JPG

View to Half Dome and Cloudsrest.

I left the summit and headed down the East Ridge and then into the Alpine lake/Carnegie Institute valley. The basin was gorgeous, but the mosquitoes kept me moving. The walk back up to Saddlebag was a bit of a slog and I arrived at the trailhead at 12:10, 6 hours and 45 minutes after starting.

Gear Notes:

Ice axe and crampons used and needed on Conness Glacier route, especially in couloir.

Approach Notes:

Trail in good shape.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic