The Bellevue Rant Thread

mythosgrl

I'll say something nice about Bellevue. They have very nice parks that are wonderfully uncrowded.

I used to work in Bellevue and would go running at Wilburton and Bellefields Parks on my lunch break. I would go to the park and there would be several cars in the lot, but almost no people walking or running on the trails. There would be people in the cars, however. They were generally either eating, talking on cell phones, or smoking, or various combinations of the three.

:pagetop:

Edited by catbirdseat

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what to say about Bellevue. I grew up there, but I got the hell out of dodge when I turned 18. Personally I like Seattle a lot more than Bellevue, but there are some nice parks in Bellevue. The Arboretum in Bellevue is pretty cool; it doesn't hurt that I did a bunch of work on the trees in that and other parks.

I guess I'd say that Seattle has more stuff going on; more music, and better cheap restaurants. That's why I like it, but I've still got a few friends that I like (including my parents) that live in Bellevue.

Edited by AlpineK

20 bucks says KK owns an Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero though he refers to it as his "Bellevue" Sombrero :grlaf: sickie :grlaf: sickie

Hell... I'll go double or nothing it matches his OR gaiters :laf: :laf: :grlaf::wazup:

Hey KK: does your wife have to remind you to take off your "Bellevue" Sombrero when you go to TGIFridays for dinner :ass:

Hey John Frieh, fuck off and die. :wave:

Hope you don't think that's why i hate it. I personally am sick of the SUVs, un-biker friendly roads, over consumption, shopping malls, gigantic houses, and people thinking that getting rich, where you go to college, and what job you land is all there is to life.

what a load of bullshit.

SUV's? They are everywhere, not just Bellevue. I recently interviewed for a job in downtown Seattle and the parking garage was full of SUVs - hogging up all the compact spots. Personally, I have never owned an SUV, and neither do many of my neighbors. And so what if we did, or do? Some of us have families and actually use those extra seats in our cars - we aren't all narcissistic singles.

Go to college and get a successful job? Sounds like sour grapes from a loser who can't compete. All there is to life? Pray tell, what is there to life? Promiscuous sex with partner after partner? Drinking and partying in bars? Listening to your favorite alternative band live? Working a dead-end meaningless job? Or maybe you're lookin for man to take care of you, and in the meantime, you'll just have fun? Most people grow up beyond this 18-25 lifestyle, raise families and move to suburbia for better schools, nicer neighborhoods, and benefits like parks that aren't taken over by the local bums, school districts that are actually good, and reasonable taxes.

Bellevue - where all the true gangsters live. The hottest bellevue bitches live up on Cougar Mountain where the real players can hustle in a target rich environment, if you know what I'm saying. Let's roll the benz out to TGI Friday's, maybe drop some duckets at the cinnebon. Don't fuck with us or we'll pop you one biatch! Issaquaaaaaaah!!!! out.

The Bellevue public school system is one of the best in the nation

Oh really? Why do you think that? Did you attend Newport, Bellevue, Sammamish, or Interlake?

Went to Newport- we were in Newsweek for one of the highest number of AP tests taken per student in the country. Part of the reason why so many students took the tests were that they could afford to pay $80 a test and the Bellevue School District had a policy that said if you refused to take the AP test, you had to take the district one (which was almost exactly identical) and it would count on your overall grade in the class. So they forced kids to pay and take the tests (which most of the student body could afford) to avoid having that test count on their grade incase they failed it.

We also had great test scores... because if most of the students failed the WASL their parents would disown them or they missed out on their $200 bonus for their grades. Saw so much cheating go on there it was sickening. Also, many of the students were tutored privately or went to math camps over the summer (both which cost a considerable amount of money, let me remind you), so they came into the schools ahead. I'm not surprised that Bellevue has the highest test scores in the state. I would attribute most of that to money.

I only had 4 valuable classes out of my whole high school career there and most of my friends would admit the same thing.

Just curious- how do you define "best"?

Hope you don't think that's why i hate it. I personally am sick of the SUVs, un-biker friendly roads, over consumption, shopping malls, gigantic houses, and people thinking that getting rich, where you go to college, and what job you land is all there is to life.

what a load of bullshit.

SUV's? They are everywhere, not just Bellevue. I recently interviewed for a job in downtown Seattle and the parking garage was full of SUVs - hogging up all the compact spots. Personally, I have never owned an SUV, and neither do many of my neighbors. And so what if we did, or do? Some of us have families and actually use those extra seats in our cars - we aren't all narcissistic singles.

Go to college and get a successful job? Sounds like sour grapes from a loser who can't compete. All there is to life? Pray tell, what is there to life? Promiscuous sex with partner after partner? Drinking and partying in bars? Listening to your favorite alternative band live? Working a dead-end meaningless job? Or maybe you're lookin for man to take care of you, and in the meantime, you'll just have fun? Most people grow up beyond this 18-25 lifestyle, raise families and move to suburbia for better schools, nicer neighborhoods, and benefits like parks that aren't taken over by the local bums, school districts that are actually good, and reasonable taxes.

I don't have a problem with people going to college. I think you misunderstood me. I have a problem with people in Bellevue and other places being obsessed with the status associated with a certain college. If I didn't go to UW or the East Coast for school I was considered a "failure" at my high school. I think going to school and becoming educated is great! In Bellevue people were more concerned with the name of the school than the actual learning that would take place there.

Also, you said "successful job". How would you define success? I don't have a problem with people getting a successful job. I think that is lovely. But just because it pays well does not mean it is successful. That is another thing people from Bellevue don't understand. They are looking for jobs with a name attatched to them again; looking for that status and the fatty paycheck that goes along with it.

Also- that parking garage was probably filled with SUVs FROM a home on the Eastside. No one is going to try to parallel park one of those downtown Seattle in front of their appartment building.

what a load of bullshit.

My dad lived worked there for a while in the 80s, and throughout my life he told me enough jokes and stories about the kind of people who live there to make me want to avoid it at all costs. He said that he whenever he left Bellevue he could never look people in the eye when he told them where he was from, so I just kind of get a kick out of how enthused you are about the place. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

I found it interesting that when you were questioning what there is to life you said nothing about climbing. I would guess that to many people here that is more important than the other options you listed, and for some, myself included, it is more important than their job, house, car, and money (no, I don't have a family to support right now). Its not going to change the world, but unlike the system that many people in places like Bellevue for example are feeding into, its not hurting much.

I do fall into your 18-25 year old category, so its not like anything that I have to say is worth anything to a fellow with your kind of class and wardrobe, but have you ever thought of working to improve the living standards (education, parks, crime) in places like Seattle rather than just moving to suburbia to pretend that the problems don't exist?

This is all just something to think about; who knows, in 20 yeas I might be living next door to you, giving my life away to make my boss richer in order to pay for my fancy hover car and pool. Feel free to defend your way of life by insulting mine, I am going to be off climbing for a while and won't be able to respond, so you will be able to feel like you shut me down. :brew:

I don't have a problem with people going to college. I think you misunderstood me. I have a problem with people in Bellevue and other places being obsessed with the status associated with a certain college. If I didn't go to UW or the East Coast for school I was considered a "failure" at my high school. I think going to school and becoming educated is great! In Bellevue people were more concerned with the name of the school than the actual learning that would take place there.

You could have grown up in rural Wisconsin. When I got accepted and went to Stanford, my high school advosor said "Good job, isn't that in Conneticut?". No worries about status there!

:)

-r

You could have grown up in rural Wisconsin. When I got accepted and went to Stanford, my high school advosor said "Good job, isn't that in Conneticut?". No worries about status there!

:)

-r

i just don't see the problem with that pressure to succeed. OK so you decide not to go to college so what? WTF is wrong with achieving good grades regardless. Yeah-many of those classes in highschool don't seem very valuable. I'm guessing that some of them have more value than you think. What wasn't valuable? History? A fundamental understanding of history is a valuable thing. English? Learning to read and write well is of the utmost importance. So you read some dumb plays and poetry and had to write what you thought were useless papers. You probably learned some critical thinking skills, deductive and inductive reasoning and perhaps even became a more well rounded person. Math, a particularly practical skill. Science? a fundamental understanding of the way things work and why is a bad thing?

Just b/c you can't recognize the value in the classes doesn't mean there wasn't any. Frankly, I thought highschool was a waste of my time and I couldn't get to college fast enough. I went to a second rate getto high school and in retrospect, there was still value in those classes.

We all have to make a living somehow. Yeah some of those eastsiders with those high paying corporate jobs are slaves to those jobs and hate them. Some of them actually like their jobs. i know it might come as a shock to you but some of those executives like their jobs just as much as those people who don't have college degrees like their own jobs. i know i'm glad i've got my nice cushy job that requires a college degree. wth does it matter how we each define success? i know a lot of well educated eastsiders that have a lot of money, drive nice cars, live in fancy homes and guess what? they're in their 40s and retired or running their own businesses and working their own hours. heck most of my eastside friends have their own businesses and most of them aren't even 40 yet. not a bad lifestyle if you ask me.

yeah- i think bellevue is pretty plastic boobs and artificially friendly neighborhoods and i don't want to live there. h/e this thread is a lot of hate and resentment. stupid. i love where i live but theres bad things about it too. i don't condemn the whole town b/c we're a bunch of wannabe hicks.

Bellevue, not a city?

IMG_0053.jpg

I can't wait until the asteroid hits earth and resets the stupidity meter on this planet :noway:

If everyone is so worried about their impact on earth so much, just slit your wrists. That'll give you a big fat donut for your carbon foot print. If everyone would just worry about peace and love instead of harshing peeps for driving their SUV's or riding their bikes on the road then we'd all be better off. This planet is going to be around a long, long, long time after this primitive species called humans becomes extinct from their own hand. Might as well enjoy the ride into the black hole while you can :tup: :tup:

My dad lived worked there for a while in the 80s, and throughout my life he told me enough jokes and stories about the kind of people who live there to make me want to avoid it at all costs.

That's funny that's exactly how I feel about people who live in Seattle, and Seattlite values.

He said that he whenever he left Bellevue he could never look people in the eye when he told them where he was from, so I just kind of get a kick out of how enthused you are about the place.

I lived in Seattle from 1992-1998, and I was always embarassed to have lived in a place like that. I have plenty of anecdotes about Seattlites as well. To each his own, my friend.

I found it interesting that when you were questioning what there is to life you said nothing about climbing. I would guess that to many people here that is more important than the other options you listed, and for some, myself included, it is more important than their job, house, car, and money (no, I don't have a family to support right now).

EXACTLY. If climbing IS your life, you have no life. As I said, narcissistic singles with no real responsibilities. You think hard-working folks who have "made" it are shallow, selfish, and superficial. Look in the goddamn mirror.

This is all just something to think about; who knows, in 20 yeas I might be living next door to you, giving my life away to make my boss richer in order to pay for my fancy hover car and pool.

Again with the jealousy thing from people who just can't "rate".

I don't own a pool, and drive a normal economy sedan. It's a 2000, and I'll drive it until it's totally destroyed. No new car for me every three years. Most of my money goes to normal living expenses, mortgage, taxes, and savings for retirement and college educations. So shove your stereotypes up your ass. Once you've worked for 15 years, and see that most people live like that and not some luxury life then we can talk. Of course, there are some who live as you suggest - and they are not just on the eastside. They stand out. The vast majority live modestly and work and pay their bills like everyone else. BTW, there are plenty of rich fucks in the Seattle-city limits. Take a look around the upscale neighborhoods. And don't neglect to notice all those fancy boutiques downtown.