To the fathers......

kevbone

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family and I are going to Breitenbush this weekend to camp with Miles for the first time. We are attending a natural parenting program......how neet.

Anyone been there? This will be my first trip there.

We have taken Simone camping 5 times already (4 times in the Akagera game park and once on Lake Kivu), she like's it alot. The only thing is that we are realizing our two person tent is too small for three of us.

She is a little jet setter too. She flew back to Rwanda from the states, has flown to Ethiopia and Tanzania in her first 6 months. Next it will be back home for a month, Mexico to visit relatives and hopefully we'll spend Christmas in Mozambique.

What's the youngest you guys took your kids camping...?

Simone went on her first camping trip when she was about 2.5 months old. We took her on her first hike when she was 2 weeks old, went up on to Granite mountain, I think she slept the whole way in the Bjorne.

I would second the opinion to start with car camping and day hikes before venturing off backpacking trips. You want it to be enjoyable for everyone. When hiking with Simone I have added cord onto the pack so that I can clip toys to it so she can play with things while we are hiking. We also carry a blanket so that if she gets burnt out in the pack we can stop and let her stretch her legs a bit. It is important to get the kids used to being carried in the pack, cause when they start walking if they aren't use to it they will want to walk and at 1.5-2 y.o. you won't go far if they are walking, my friends are running to that problem with their daughter. Last weekend I was able to coax her on my shoulder and Simone on my back and we were able to cover some ground.

For camping we usually put Simone at the head of our 2 person tent and sleep with our feet crammed down at the end of the tent. We tried sleeping with Simone inbetween us but she tosses and turns too much and kept us awake. We are lucky because Simone sleeps really well, hell last night she went to sleep at 5:30 and amazingly didn't wake until 6:30 in the morning, freaking 13 hour power sleep.

dberdinka how do you get your kid to wear sunglasses? I have not figured out how to get Simone to wear them or a hat unless it is hoodie. She just takes them off as soon as they are on. She hasn't figured out to push back with the hoodie, so she usually gives up after a bit of struggle.

One of the few great things about my job right now is that I get to spend lunches at home. I figure I'll add a few more pics of Simone from lunch today.

Simone_swinging.jpg

Simone_on_skull.jpg

Edited by ken4ord

dberdinka how do you get your kid to wear sunglasses? I have not figured out how to get Simone to wear them or a hat unless it is hoodie.

I have no clue why she doesn't tear them off. She seems to enjoy them! Maybe she knows that her sunglasses are fancier than her mommy's or her daddy's.

I took my little boy car camping to Ruckle Point on Saltspring Island when he was 11 weeks. To be honest, he has never slept better. And trees make the best mobiles. He also got to dance in the park with the hippies in Ganges. Good times had by all. I'll post a pic when i get a chance.

We took him cragging to Squamish when he was two weeks. He mostly slept in his car seat while dad climbed.

I too have been kicking around the idea of taking the little monster backpacking. We started hiking at about 3 months. We first took him car camping at 6 months. Fortunately he is a very very easy baby. One idea I have been kicking around for backpacking was taking him in the jog stroller. I think it would be fine on a good trail that was relatively flat. Anyone have experience with a jog stroller on trails? I would just carry him but it would likely be just the two of us. Carrying him and all of our stuff may be a bit much. I will probably just keep doing day hikes. That way mom and little sister (4 weeks today) can come along too.

I took my two when the youngest was 3 and the oldest nearing 5. We hiked in about a mile and a half, which turned out to be too much for the youngest. I tried having them each carry a tiny bit on their backs to give them the experience, but I ended up with all of that before long. The "outhouse" was a tough experience for the youngest, as he could not relax in there thus making me have to deal with it otherwise.

The primary thing to keep in mind is that it is an adventure for the kids, and it will be pure work and problem management for you, not a relaxing time. As with many kid experiences; it was a difficult miserable time that I would not have traded for anything.

I gave up on the idea of packing with small children early on. I just could not see how it could be done. My wife is a total city girl and Seattle is very small to her on her radar.

The first time I took her car camping it was like I was the only adult. She could not understand anything about other that it sure was fun, and when can we do it again.

So for hiking I have always carried the children when they were smaller and just did day hikes. I could do anything up to about 10 miles. I did a few 15 to 20 mile day hikes, I carried my son up Pratt mt from the Pratt lake TH some 8 to 9 years ago, but when you get up to that many miles it really becomes a work out.

I would like to share my favorite day hike with you all.

It was Lake Anette just bellow Silver and Tinkham. Well I think that was Thikham it might have been Abel.

Anyway, I carried my daughter lunch, ground cloth, swim suites, 1 towel, water, water filter, bug repelant (much needed) Everything to have a first class pic-a-nic at the lake. It was just the lake was 5 miles in. They used their sandels to go wading in the shalows of the lake. My daughter slept most of the way out while my son and I eat Salmon Berries and pretended we were bears.

If you children can't do the over night back packing then by all means don't force in on them. There are plenty of day hikes that they would love to go on, and when they get bigger, and can start to carry somethingm, then start to add weight. The first is to make sure EVERYONE, that includes us parents as well, HAVE FUN.

It will be an expiernce we all will cherish out entire life.

dberdinka how do you get your kid to wear sunglasses? I have not figured out how to get Simone to wear them or a hat unless it is hoodie.

I have no clue why she doesn't tear them off. She seems to enjoy them! Maybe she knows that her sunglasses are fancier than her mommy's or her daddy's.

Hmmm, maybe that is the problem, even though her glasses are all pink and sparklely, she knows they are not as good as mom and dad's glasses.

OMG.....my son slept for 4 hours in a row the other night....hurray!

YAY PROGRESS!!!!

ya they are grumpy when you ween them on the nappies. hell i am grumpy still when i don't get my afternoon nap.

BTW all the baby pics are awsome. thank you for sharing everyone!!!

OK, mine are 7 - 9 and getting old on me. I need another baby. Anyone out there want to sell or lease one? God I love babies!

Eric

all i have to say is you are nuts

i am not a fan of being the human napkin. all i did for 8 years was wipe butts :cry:

i have been nervous about taking the boys camping on my own. they go with thier dad. i want to but i just haven't done it . we hike as often as my feet will allow and we have taken up going to the lake. so much fun to chase them arround in the water.

Yeah I agree, I don't particularily like wiping asses. What I am looking forward to is putting her on the pointy end of the rope so she can drag her old man up something heniously hard. Or pointing our bikes downhill and racing to the bottom. Until she is older she will just be a fan on the sidelines.

Simone making her Daddy proud, with her "My Daddy is faster than your Daddy" shirt.

Simone_025.jpg

On Monday, I indicated that my baby was due on Tuesday the 7th.

Sometimes good things come early. The stork brought this cute little gift on Tuesday!

August_1_Afternoon_3.JPG

Jason

congradulations on your angel.

remember no one is ever as important as daddy. if you treat her right no man will ever be allowed to treat her wrong.

we are all so blessed and lucky i can hardly stand it some times :grin: