• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Everyone is telling me, "enjoy it while they're young"

But I'm like, "fucking hurry and grow up already!" :lmao:

That's terrible, isn't it?

I was the same way, especially with my oldest. Now I regret that a little.

Once they hit 4, it gets more fun and a lot easier. My 6 year old is very athletic and he could do 10 miles hikes even at age 4.5, which made things easier. Now my 10 year old can almost hang with me. We did Granite Mtn a few weeks ago via the ridge run. He only complained a little.

Old parenting maxim:

You spend two years teaching them to talk and walk, and the next 16 years trying to get them to shut up and come home on time.

It might be "terrible" if that thought was always in mind whenever you look at your kid(s), but I doubt that's the case.

I changed the chronology of my plans for marriage and family, moving things forward by fifteen years, when I looked seriously at the time-line concerning when the offspring might be out on their own. I decided I wanted to allow for a chance, later in life (should I survive the ordeal), to enjoy activities unencumbered by family commitments.

• 4 weeks later...
y'all can laugh and tell me i'm wrong and i'll probably regret saying this today but i like my son more every year. he's 13 and i really enjoy his company (even if he doesn't like to hike ;) )

I found this sentiment to be true for myself, as well (with a few exceptions, when they were causing trouble and reaping monetary fines from the authorities).

Now, they call on a weekly basis, spending an hour or more on the phone. I think they miss the beatings.

I just got back from a weekend camping/fishing trip with my son, and I have to agree, the older they get, the more fun they are to be around.

Of course, on last year's trip, I did all the tying, baiting, and casting for him, but as a result, Dad got to do a lot of fly fishing down the shoreline a ways while The Boy sat with his hook full of Power Bait in the water, waiting.... Now that he's six and an Official Big Boy, he insisted upon doing all of his own baiting and casting, which did nothing but cause a lot of anguish on my end, as he went through almost an entire tackle box full of sinkers, swivels, snells, etc. and was calling "Daaaaaaaaa-dyyyyyyyyy!" about every three minutes. :laf:

I decided that for this weekend, fishing just wasn't in the cards for me. Good thing I brought a book and a half-rack of Fat Tires... Still, I wouldn't trade the weekend for a million dollars.