To the fathers......

kevbone

A couple of weeks ago we went camping with the new baby. We were in Vegas and needed to get out of the heat, so we headed over to Flagstaff.

Krista and I usually sleep in the back of the Astrovan. With a carseat we had to keep the backseat in and take it out once we got to our campsite. Krista made a little campbed for the baby and a little sleeping bag. Here's Krista and the baby in the van on Holly's first night camping...

DSC_0119.JPG

The van seat made for a great couch in order to feed the baby.

Camping_4_5.JPG

Here's Holly on her first camping trip!

Camping_3.JPG

Shortly after we got home, I had to go to Washington to do a little work. Krista and the baby decided to come up for a little grandparent time. Krista can't help herself from staging pictures of the baby...

Grandma_s_or_Bust.JPG

And yes, that is a suitcase she's in...

Last night we went to Radical Reels in Las Vegas. Holly -- at eight weeks old -- watched the introduction and the first two movies. She's seems to like Norwegion base jumpers...

Jason

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of weeks ago we went camping with the new baby. We were in Vegas and needed to get out of the heat, so we headed over to Flagstaff.

Krista and I usually sleep in the back of the Astrovan. With a carseat we had to keep the backseat in and take it out once we got to our campsite. Krista made a little campbed for the baby and a little sleeping bag. Here's Krista and the baby in the van on Holly's first night camping...

DSC_0119.JPG

The van seat made for a great couch in order to feed the baby.

Camping_4_5.JPG

Here's Holly on her first camping trip!

Camping_3.JPG

Shortly after we got home, I had to go to Washington to do a little work. Krista and the baby decided to come up for a little grandparent time. Krista can't help herself from staging pictures of the baby...

Grandma_s_or_Bust.JPG

And yes, that is a suitcase she's in...

Last night we went to Radical Reels in Las Vegas. Holly -- at eight weeks old -- watched the introduction and the first two movies. She's seems to like Norwegion base jumpers...

Jason

Great job......great pictures.

Kevbone, you created the favorite thread on the site. Good job.

Favorite for the fathers....I guess.....

Is there a plan for a kids weekend at the rock this fall? Vantage mid October? Everyone brings the babies and let them all get filthy?

Sounds fun.....Vantage is a little far away for us....we are going to Breitenbush for our sons first birthday in 3 weeks.....hot springs baby......

I scored on a kelty for $15 on craigs list. It wasn't my favorite but for 15 bones compared to several hundred for the one that felt most comfortable it was an easy decision. I tried out several different kinds before buying. I don't remember any of the brands but I do remember a few things that caught my attention. One brand had a flimsy stand system. I was worried that when we set the kidlet down on ground that is likely uneven there was good potential that he could fall over. Most had a billion bells and whistles. I don't like that, keep it simple stupid. Comfort for you is important but Comfort for the kidlet is more important. My kid will start to melt down before I do so I try and make his comfort top priority. Your kidlet will grow. Mine is around 30lbs now. Make sure there is room. If it is just you and the kid you will want room for those baby essentials. I just strap another backpack on the baby carrier frame.

On another note, the season is changing. I have been thinking about getting one of those rain cover things that helps keep the kid dry in the rain. Are they any good? Maybe an umbrella instead? Other ideas?

We have an Eagle Creek (??) for Nicholas (although he's 5 now and never uses it any more) and a Kelty for Elaina (soon to be 3). Nicholas loved his EC when he was younger, but Elaina never sits still in either carrier. It makes it difficult to take them both anywhere, because our (family) range is limited by her personal range and unwillingness to stay in the carrier. I think it's more a kid thing than a carrier thing.

We have a Sherpani which we all seem to really like so far (me carrying and Nathan riding). It has lots of good storage, does a good job keeping the center of gravity of the pack when Nathan is in it close to your back, has a good suspension too, and comes with the sun shade and a rain cover.

Here's a pic of Nathan in it (although you can't really see the whole thing too well.

IMG_1836_edited-1.jpg

I had never heard of the Sherpani before getting the baby backpack. A quick google search shows that Sherpani is indeed a women's focused brand, but this pack is specifically identified as a "unisex" pack on their website. One of the things I like about the pack is that it has a very easily adjustable suspension so that it fits both me and my wife.

DSCN0278.JPG

watched these little shit's grow up to.

South Platte?

yep. that's sphinx crack in tha back ground which you cannot access at this point. that crack goes all thye around to the back side and that is 5.11 sweet. the oldest girl (meagan) really likes to climb cracks and already hates sport climbers.