To the fathers......

kevbone

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, you poor suckers with sleepless nights. Simone right from the start slept a solid 5-7 hours with out waking. The first night she slept on my chest the whole night. Now-a-days she is 11 months and now sleeping 10 hours straight 8pm-6am. It is awesome.

Wow....good for you!

See, Miles sleeps through the night but wakes up to nurse about 6 to 8 times. He does not wake up enought to want to play......he just kind of fusses about until a boob or bottle gets placed in his mouth. The quicker that happenes the quicker he goes back to sleep.

A friend of mine used to say for all three of her children that the most important thing to do in order get a good night sleep is to stick them on the boob as much as possible while they are awake. She believe that was the key to restful sleep for all three children. I tend to think it is more luck than anything. Simone usually quite hungry in the morning though it is really funny, when she sees the bottle in the morning she has sort of Bevias and Butthead sort of laugh, heh heh heh.

My family and I are going to Breitenbush this weekend to camp with Miles for the first time. We are attending a natural parenting program......how neet.

Anyone been there? This will be my first trip there.

O no.....does that mean you guys are going to be breastfeeding him until he's eight?

My family and I are going to Breitenbush this weekend to camp with Miles for the first time. We are attending a natural parenting program......how neet.

O no.....does that mean you guys are going to be breastfeeding him until he's eight?

God .....I sure hope not.....but its not up to me.

We have taken Simone camping 5 times already (4 times in the Akagera game park and once on Lake Kivu), she like's it alot. The only thing is that we are realizing our two person tent is too small for three of us.

She is a little jet setter too. She flew back to Rwanda from the states, has flown to Ethiopia and Tanzania in her first 6 months. Next it will be back home for a month, Mexico to visit relatives and hopefully we'll spend Christmas in Mozambique.

We have taken Simone camping 5 times already (4 times in the Akagera game park and once on Lake Kivu), she like's it alot. The only thing is that we are realizing our two person tent is too small for three of us.

She is a little jet setter too. She flew back to Rwanda from the states, has flown to Ethiopia and Tanzania in her first 6 months. Next it will be back home for a month, Mexico to visit relatives and hopefully we'll spend Christmas in Mozambique.

What's the youngest you guys took your kids camping...?

Hi Jason. We took our daughter car camping around 3 months and backpacking at 11 months. It's fun but you gotta be on it 100% of the time. The backpacking is tough, no one sleeps that well, car camping better...because they can sleep in a porta-crib. Honestly day hikes seem to keep everyone the happiest. Are you joining the crowd?

Lopez2_1_.JPG

Hi Jason. We took our daughter car camping around 3 months and backpacking at 11 months. It's fun but you gotta be on it 100% of the time. The backpacking is tough, no one sleeps that well, car camping better...because they can sleep in a porta-crib. Honestly day hikes seem to keep everyone the happiest. Are you joining the crowd?

Yep...in a week...

The baby is breech so we have a c-section scheduled for next tuesday. Obviously if my wife goes into labor before then we have to have a c-section right away.

I have to go to a training in Yosemite in late October. We rented one of those canvas platform tents with a heater and the like in it and plan on taking the baby... Hopefully that will work out. I guess we'll see.

Jason

Lopez2_1_.JPG

Sir,

My babies are 11 - boy, and 8 girl.

When he was 12 months or so I purchased a book put our by the Mountaineers. Hikes in Western Washington of childern, or something like that.

Limited car camping.

No over night hikes.

LOTS, and lots of day hikes to lakes when they were younger and more to easy walk ups as they are geeting a little older.

there is still that motivation factor you need to add in. Somedays they can go all day no problem and some days, well, some days you are better off staying in the car.

I love your photo. it is a keeper.

dberdinka.....out of curiosity, how did you execute the backpacking trip with your toddler....Mom with the Sherpani, and you with a monster pack?

I'm considering doing something short with the little bitty in late September....maybe Lake Ann or equivalent, and just trying to figure out how the logistics might shake out...me with a pack and ergo on front for counter-balance, etc.

My daughter, Araya, is now 14 months old. She was 11 and 12 months in those photos.

To begin with with we've carried her everywhere, everyday since she was born including a lot of dayhikes so she's use to and enjoys being in a pack. She's just starting to walk so that might all change but we've been doing well with up to 8 mile hikes.

As for how we do it, which mind you we've only done it twice so far, was to essentially pack as light as possible. Mom carried the baby and diaper stuff, I carried everything else..maybe 35 lbs worth. A backpacking load is ridiculously light compared to a climbing load so you throw in the baby and you're back to "normal". Well you've got piles of diapers, wipes, baby clothe, etc to carry so that means BD Lighthouse and a sleeping bag system that unzips into a comforter. Orginally I built her, her own little sleeping pad/blanket system for the head of the tent. Unfortunately that only lasted about 30 minutes before you crawled out of it. So we all slept together and not that well (if your wife is into the cosleeping thing you might have a real advantage here). Now she's off the boob but still pounds whole milk like crazy, so I'll get to carry another liter of milk a day.

I think a better approach would be a 3 person tent with a seperate sleeping space for the baby, there is a BabyPod or PeaPod thing that's like a little enclosed mesh tent for them to sleep in. If you could condition them to that pretrip it could work out great.

This weekend we're leaving the baby with Grandma and going kayaking overnight. Now this might be the way to go! She can still gain an appreciation of wilderness from dayhikes.

But don't mind my bitchin. Going backpacking was logistically complicated and frequently stressful, but so worth it as witness by the photo of......

Sunset Over The Great West Canyon

W_Canyon_Sunset.jpg

Edited by dberdinka