To the fathers......

kevbone

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats - hoooooooly shit am i glad to be done w/ winston-churchill lookalikes after that brief visit to the doctor! :)

Shit, Winston Churchill lookalikes are better than Chairman Mao Lookalikes any day of the week....(psst, don't tell my boy I said that) LOL Took about a year an a half for the "Hanabata Boy" marked in photo below with grandparents to grow out of that phase and finally get some hair.

Nina_and_Shaun_with_grandparents_resized1.jpg

Good looking kids up thread there. Cracks me up seeing Scotts boy with the rope. Now you need to start letting the tyke monkey hang off yer new wall. I always advertised in advance that I would refuse to accept a "fathers day" present or gift. I told them I wasn't playing that game, "every day is fathers day and don't forget it, I want yer respect every day and don't show up one day a year with a gift cause I'm not interested" haha!

Last gift my boy gave me was hooking me up with a pro deal for the Wild Country helium cams. Schweet! They grow up so fast. I miss them both all the time. I did spend last weekend climbing/hanging with the youngest there who showed up at home with a buddy. Did a lap up the corner Sunday too. Nice! Here they were Sat on The Dragons Spine at Coethdral just clipping bolts.

Shaun_and_Mark_on_Dragons_Spine.jpg

Checked in on Plaidman too seen (or not seen as the case may be) here about half way up his new route, taught my son to yell "yer gonna die" as a greeting to let yer buddies know that you are present and keeping an eye on their back, lOL! He's got the hunter orange on. Never a bad idea in cougar county where the cougar hunting season is year round (actually it's Jan. 1 - Dec. 31) I guess.

small_copy_Shaun_and_Mark_watch_Plaidman.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

No pics but a few stories.

My first son was about 4 when I carried him to the top of a peak in a kid pack, only to find him bored and just throwing rocks around while ignoring the views.

Same kid about 2 years later backpacking. He again got bored and the only way I could get him to the destination was to tell stories about Dracula, kings and queens, and castles and such. His highlight on the trip to the summit was a gopher that had been mauled by a hawk.

Same kid at age 19 at Squamish. He was thrilled to finally be somewhere he could drink legally. Then he led every pitch of Diedre.

Second son, age 12 on his first trip into the Lower Enchantments. He took a baseball and mitt and got obsessed with throwing the ball up a rock wall and trying to catch it on the way down until it was too dark to see.

Same son, age 20, carried a watermelon into the Lower Enchantments.

Same son, age 25 hiked up Pike's Peak in shorts and a t-shirt to experience a snowstorm and energy crash and bought food at the top with his memorized credit card number.

Now the first son is gone and the second son has been a teacher, recycling entreprenour, Auditor for the state of Colorado, and now is a professionalpoker player.

Not to date myself but now it is "To the grandfathers" for me.

These are all very fond memories and like every father and grandfather think they are the smartest and cutest people on earth. It is what we do.

My granddaughter is 1 and likes to climb onto the dishwasher lid and dig around in the dishes. High hopes for her.

Edited by matt_warfield

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

shoulda brought my kids over that day - had'em out at beacon in the day use area in that huge field - never seen 2 kids n' a dog so retard-excited to be racing through head-high daisies - like a scene out of da wizard of oz.

my children would have descended on your raspberry's like egyptian locusts though :)

shoulda brought my kids over that day - had'em out at beacon in the day use area in that huge field - never seen 2 kids n' a dog so retard-excited to be racing through head-high daisies - like a scene out of da wizard of oz.

my children would :) have descended on your raspberry's like egyptian locusts though :)

Yep. Tons of rugrats at the NoBo Trifecta... My strawberries are going bananas, my raspberries are going nuts and my blueberries are blowing up like that chick in Willy Wonka. :)

My Fathers Day was the best one of my six so far. Woke up to breakfast being made by my amazing wife. My dad and 2 of my 4 brothers came over from breakfast. My wife got me a ping pong table. We spent some time setting it up then playing until our arms dropped off. A bike ride with the family also happened. A cigar with a glass of wine in the shade......best ever. Very relaxing.

How was your father's day?

Awesome, spent it with my boy and whole bunches of other family as he was doing the cap and gown and got his college degree. (kid was wearing 5.10ies under the gown) He wanted to get out and do a lap, but my shoulders (torn rotator cuffs) are still in the shit stage and we never effected my older brothers desire to go lap a summit as my mom is 91 and no one wanted to ditch her this year as was traditionally done in the past.

• 2 weeks later...