[TR] Guye Peak - Improbable Traverse [FFA/FKA] 6/1/2007

therunningdog

Trip: Guye Peak - Improbable Traverse [FFA/FKA]

Date: 6/1/2007

Trip Report:

Ben and I climbed Guye Peak a couple weeks ago via the Improbable Traverse. We decided to climb the peak a bit differently than most. Always thinking outside-the-box, Ben opted to climb Guye in the traditional Kyrgyz Kalpak style, while I opted to send the route Fez style. As far as we know, this is the first Kalpak'd ascent of Guy(FKA), and probably the first Fez'd ascent, too(FFA.) If anyone knows otherwise, let us know, because we'd like to smoke a hookah and drink mare's milk with them.

We headed up on a Wednesday night and after a couple of Sessions(beers), slept at the pullout in the little subdivision, and by 6am Thursday were walking on the loosey-goosey-rockey-goodness that is Guye Peak!!!

IMG_8028.JPG

The Improbable Traverse route is basically right above THE FEZ.

Wat wit all the loose rock that Guye Peak is known for, we were both happy to have the protection of our special headgear.

Doing the funky Kalpak at the rope-up spot.

IMG_8030.JPG

We simuled for a short while until we ended up below this crack system below the Lunch Ledge that Ben headed up.

Kalpak.jpg

We were at the level of the Lunch Ledge at 7:30am, so we didn't eat lunch there.

Getting ready to head off over the famous Improable Traverse can really cause you to shudder!

IMG_8041.JPG

Looks can be deceiving. It's an airy, fun pitch that leaves you feeling a little run out, but it's not hard.

FEZ.jpg

After the Improbable Traverse pitch, the climbing is basically done, and it's fez nice scramble to the summit!!!

IMG_8058.JPG

At the summit! We didn't stay long. We bonzaied back to the car and I was back in my sad cubicle by 11:45.

A good way to start a workday. Nah, I take that back. A GREAT way!!

Gear Notes:

Small rack to 3".

Fez.

Kalpak.

2-12 oz. Sessions the night before.

Fermented Mare's Milk

Approach Notes:

If possible, try to go up the cruddy scree slope when you are still half asleep.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this new climbing gear available from my local REI or do I need to order from a more specialized dealer like Mountian Tools or the AAI gearshop?

FEZ and KALPAK are available at Uncle Borat's Happy Haberdashery in downtown Bishkek. Fermented Mare's Milk (Kummis)can be procured at any of the roadside stands along the Pamir Highway.

Next time Guye will be sent Shriner Style! Beep beep!

• 3 weeks later...