Best insoles for climbing / hiking?

kweb

I have always used the green SuperFeet in my lightweight climbing boots (La Sportiva Trango S Evo). Really its the only insole in any climbing boot I've worn. I got them cuz I was told they were the best? After years of thinking I was indeed using the best, last year I mistakenly forgot to put them in my boots on one of my grueling Granite Mtn training hikes. I didn't notice they weren't in the boots till I toke them off after the hike.

If these really were that great, uuummmm.......... shouldn't I have noticed?

What do you all wear? After a 3 level low back surgery, I'm trying to find the best one's to absorb all the endless pounding while climbing and hiking.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use "Sole" and prefer them to superfeet.....higher arch than SF, and more cushion. They are also "heat moldable", but I think it's more of a marketing gimmic than anything. I didn't notice much difference after heating them up.

If they are good enough for Viesturs, they are good enough for me. Of course I haven't picked up a Jansport pack

Edited by ericb

problem I see with teh Sole insoles is they eventually conform to your foot problems, like if your pronate soon these will break down where you do this. The orange superfeet are nice, the now have a metatarsal pad which helps for the loonngg descents, but check with your insurance, with mine orthotics are my cheapest option! I have heard good things about montrails insoles but that could be horseshit

The best insole would be a pair of custom superfeet orthotics. It depends on what's wrong with you feet. If your feet are floppy and pronate too much, then a stiff one with a high arch. If you have a normal arch and solid feet, but need the shock...a good squishy one from fred meyer should do the trick.

I had a pair of molded (not moldy) foot beds made by a podiatrist for plantars fasciitis after I wrecked my feet from poor arch support in a pair of Asolo boots. They work really well and fit in all my boots. They are a very hard plastic. I tried super feet and they helped a bit but the hard ones are much better. Although I have heard that the hard ones actually stretch the plantar ligaments and make the problem worse over time.

I had a pair of molded (not moldy) foot beds made by a podiatrist for plantars fasciitis after I wrecked my feet from poor arch support in a pair of Asolo boots. They work really well and fit in all my boots. They are a very hard plastic. I tried super feet and they helped a bit but the hard ones are much better. Although I have heard that the hard ones actually stretch the plantar ligaments and make the problem worse over time.

god i hope not cus thats what i am getting in 3 weeks

I have always had good luck with Green Superfeet. I have debated custom insoles, but lack of serious foot issues has kept me from investing the time.

My arch measures that of a size 11 but I wear a size 8.5, so I usually buy a size up in SF and cut them down. This puts the apex of the arch in line wiht the high point of my arch. If I go with the size that fits my overall foot length, the arch feels like it's set too far back.

-r

PS If your feet sweat a lot, the green dye will come off and get into your socks.