Mt. Adams conditions

jport

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3820AdamsTR0022.JPG

3820AdamsTR0022.jpg

If you can swing it, a great alternative to staying on the North Ridge all the way down is to follow this approximation of my descent several years ago. This was the finest butt-glissade of my life, and assuming good snow, it could be yours too. It may not be the easiest thing to find your way to the snowfield, but it's well worth a little searching.

fyi,

this is second hand info, but I know some folks climbed the Adams glacier over memorial day weekend and rather than starting from Killen Creek, they drove north on Rd 23 from Trout Lake as close to Adams as they coudl get then hiked cross-country (relatively open forest, no bushwacking) to treeline on the north side of Adams...they wrote that it added an extra mile or mile and a half to the usual killen creek approach.

please post a TR if ya go...I'm hoping to head in there later this month.

Here is a description of a different route to the Killian Creek trailhead that usually melts out much earlier than the standard route. Last year we got to about 1/2 a mile from the trailhead in early June. -

Directions -

Leave Randle south on Forest Service Road 23.

After a long stretch there will be a Y intersection with FS 21 going left and road FS 23 going right. Take FS 21.

You will stay on FS 21 for a little over 4 ½ miles, and then you will reach another Y intersection, Here FS 21 goes left and FS 56 goes right. A problem is that I couldn’t see any marker for FS 56. However at the Y there is a sign pointing to the right that says “Cody Horse Camp 5 Mi”

Take FS 56.

Another check is shortly after you get on FS 56 you will pass the Adams Fork Campground.

Shortly after that there is another Y with FS 56 going left and FS 5601 going right. Stay left on FS 56.

In 4 ½ miles at a 90 degree angle to the right is FS 5603. It is marked on a small sign halfway in the bushes on the right of the road. Take FS 5603.

In about 5 miles you will reach a four way intersection. FS 5603 continues on and the cross road is FS 2329. FS 2329 is a rough dirt road. Turn right on FS 2329.

You will then drive on this road until you are stopped by snow. We passed Keenes Horse Camp and passed the turn off to Horseshoe lake and got stopped by snow just before the road crosses Killen Creek and the Killen campground. From here it is about a half a mile walk to the Killen Creek trail head. It will be on your left.

Hi Paul,

I was looking for driving directions to Killen Creek trailhead and found your post. While checking google maps, i found that Killen Creek trailhead can be approached via roads 5603 (your directions) OR 5601 (is that the standard route ? ). Now the forest ranger said today (Jun14) that 2329 is washed away and not drivable but couldn't elaborate on the exact location. Could any of you who know the aarea suggest if Killen Creek trailhead is drivable (OR within 3-4 miles of drivable road) given the current road conditions.

I am considering the North Ridge route for this weekend June16/17

RogerJ, are you going to the North Ridge or South Spur ?

Thanks,

Sudipta

We (Sudipta and I) are postponing our plans as well (we were thinking of one of the routes on the North side). The forecast is iffy enough for the 6+ odd hours of driving (for me) to reconsider. Plus, we might be able to call in sick during the coming week :grin: .

If anybody goes up there this weekend, condition updates would be much appreciated!

BTW, folks at the ranger station said 2329 is drivable up to Keenes Horse Camp (taking the directions given by Paul_K above). Google maps will give you the same directions if you search for "NF 120 WA" (say, from Randle). At the same time, I couldn't find Keenes Horse Camp on the USGS topo. I'm looking at the Green Mountain quad (the one right above Mt Adams West). Horseshoe lake and campground are listed. Just above that, they list a Spring Lake campground. Is this the same as Keenes Horse Camp? In any case, it looks like a 1-1.5 mile trek (at most) to the trailhead, so shouldn't be bad I suppose.

Pup,

A map I have shows Keenes Horse Camp about a mile due east of Horseshoe Lake on Spring Creek, about a mile north of the Killen Creek campground, so I think 1.5 miles to the trailhead is about right. Gotta get on the north ridge one of these days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting to Killen Creek TH from Portland?

Which way is better/shorter, to drive to Randle then south from there or to cross over the columbia at White Salmon then go north?

There's been a lot of talk about road conditions lately, anyone have any updated info about getting to the TH?

Thanks