Training Hikes

Loren

Some friends and I are training for some local volcano climbs this summer and are looking for good training hikes along the I-90 corridor. Ideal would be good, quick elevation, but that can be done in a half a day or so. We have done Si, Mailbox, Teneriffe, McClellan Butte, Granite Mtn and Muir among other, lesser hikes. We could go back and double up on some of these, but would like to vary it up. Any suggestions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be less concerned about variety and more concerned with consistancy. Granite and Mailbox with a heavy pack are my favorites. I load my pack up with large water juggs (and large rocks from the trailhead if need be). 50lbs is always my goal. Dump the water and the rocks at the top. My hiking friends hate going with me on training climbs cuz I'm there to work......no stopping to smell the flowers, no breaks, fast up & fast down.

If you are new to climbing, you will soon learn that you can never be in to good of shape for a climb. Kick some ass on the little hills so the bigs ones don't kick yours.

Kaleetan S ridge is fun w/a little 3rd classing.

Snoqualmie peak is good via the trail that runs directly up from the Alpental lot, but I have not been on it early in the season when it is snow-covered.

Farther afield try Del Campo, Vesper, Baring, Daniel.

Have fun.