freakin' cheaters

NTM

So a while back I was watching dosage IV with some friends and during the part in switzerland, dave graham puts on this knee-bar pad (looked like it had stealth rubber on it) to help hold a sketchy knee bar. right off the bat my friend says that's "fucking cheating" and that if it doesn't hold on his own, he should find another way to do the move. One friend was nice enough to point out that climbing shoes aren't that different and if those rules were to be followed, we should all still be in mountain boots.

Later though, Tommy Caldwell is getting ready to do the Changing Corners pitch on the Nose, but instead of moving straight into it, he climbs up a crack on he left a ways, clips a bolt, then downclimbs and does the crux move on TR. Now, that same friend yells "climbing up easier ground to clip that bolt is cheating".

So i'm just wondering where folks stand. not necessarily on thses 2 points, but in climbing in general. what constitutes cheating (aside from the obvious things like pulling on gear and claiming a free send)?

and yes dru, we all know that cheating is aid and the one cheating is probly the one having the most fun.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More seriously, this is a question of personal ethics. A consensus will never be reached.

If wearing a sticky kneepad to stick a kneebar is cheating (aid), then wearing carharts in a chimney is aid too.

Tape is aid

Shoes are aid

If clipping the bolt is cheating, then using a rope is cheating too. Cams are cheating. etc...

I'm still looking to find a suit made entirely out of stealth rubber, for those tricky friction problems and OW elbow jams.

Suit up, throw myself against the rock like a wet sock, and slurp my way up like an inch worm. :tup:

WTF, now I'm a cheater? :mad:

I'm still looking to find a suit made entirely out of stealth rubber, for those tricky friction problems and OW elbow jams.

Suit up, throw myself against the rock like a wet sock, and slurp my way up like an inch worm. :tup:

WTF, now I'm a cheater? :mad:

Slab climbing would get really easy. You would look like a seal on shore.

So a while back I was watching dosage IV with some friends and during the part in switzerland, dave graham puts on this knee-bar pad (looked like it had stealth rubber on it) to help hold a sketchy knee bar. right off the bat my friend says that's "fucking cheating" and that if it doesn't hold on his own, he should find another way to do the move. One friend was nice enough to point out that climbing shoes aren't that different and if those rules were to be followed, we should all still be in mountain boots.

Later though, Tommy Caldwell is getting ready to do the Changing Corners pitch on the Nose, but instead of moving straight into it, he climbs up a crack on he left a ways, clips a bolt, then downclimbs and does the crux move on TR. Now, that same friend yells "climbing up easier ground to clip that bolt is cheating".

So i'm just wondering where folks stand. not necessarily on thses 2 points, but in climbing in general. what constitutes cheating (aside from the obvious things like pulling on gear and claiming a free send)?

and yes dru, we all know that cheating is aid and the one cheating is probly the one having the most fun.

Deception is an element of cheating(by definition, at least).

So, wouldn't using such techniques become "cheating" only if they claimed to have done it without them? Seems like if they own up to whatever method they needed to resort to in order to send the climb, they're not cheating anyone out of anything--they're acknowledging what worked for them at their particular skill level.

I reckon it becomes cheating when it is represented as something it is not and therein takes something away from the person who sent it cleanly.

Those particular folks were doing their thing in plain view of the climbing world, on video; that doesn't seem deceptive to me.

When you think about it, pro climbers' accomplishments are like baseball cards. They aren't actually worth anything (except maybe to the climber), but they sell for millions as long as the consumers are willing to believe otherwise.

Honestly, why should we care about whether others are cheating? At best they're just having a good time; at worst, they're just cheating themselves to entertain you (breadwinning). That is, as long as the cheating being done leaves no physical trace.