Lightweight harness?

woodchips

I'm in the market for a new lightweight harness for alpine and glacier travel. The harness I have now is fine for rock stuff, but absorbs a lot of water and is fairly heavy to begin with (+/- 13 oz, I think.) On the extreme end, I've looked at the CAMP xlh95 (about 3 oz), which might be OK for easy glacier stuff? The description says it has two gear loops, but the pictures only show 2 tiny vertical loops; maybe you add your own? I realize this is a pretty specialized piece of gear, and I'd really only plan on using it for easy glacier stuff.

I've looked at the Alpine Bod, but it's not really all that light. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the XLH95 on some mellow glaciers and some mellow rock (toof, prusik). it's not too painful for rapping. i rack gear on a sling over the shoulder.

for belaying, i clip the biner through the loop of rope where i tie in. for rapping, i clip the biner through both tie-in points.

i love the light weight and compact size.

If you want light harnesses you should get yourself down to Pro Mountain Sports. Jim is an expert on light harnesses.

That's actually where I looked at the harness a couple of months back. Jim's been really helpful w/ gear, and puts up with all my newbie questions. I even got a tour "behind the curtain" (upstairs .) I'll check it out again when I'm up there this week.

I've been using the Petzl Adjama lately as a decent all-rounder...

Pros:

*Light(-ish) at 435g

*Adjustable leg loops

*Real gear loops

*Some padding, but doesn't absorb much water

*Fully functional climbing harness(not only just a glacier rig)

Cons:

*No haul loop

*Drop seat attachment(hook) in rear gets trashed and can unhook if doing much chimneying.

Certainly not the lightest, most bare-bones rig on the market - but for me a good compromise between weight and functionality. As I see it, why get a harness you can only do one thing with? At just 1lb, I use it for sporto stuff and lotsa alpine applications.

I've been using the Petzl Adjama lately as a decent all-rounder...

Pros:

*Light(-ish) at 435g

*Adjustable leg loops

*Gear loops

*Some padding, but doesn't absorb water too bad

*Fully functional climbing harness(not only just a glacier rig)

Cons:

*No haul loop

*Drop seat attachment(hook) in rear get trashed and can unhook if doing much chimneying.

Certainly not the lightest, most bare-bones rig on the market - but for me a good compromise between weight and functionality.

That's the harness I've got... I really like it for alot of stuff, but I'm looking to shave some weight for rainier and trips w/ long approaches. Also, mine seems to get pretty soaked, maybe I need to DWR it.

It doesn't seem like theres alot of harnesses in the range between 95g and 300g.

I picked up the Trango Mountain harness from Pro Mountain Sports a couple of years ago and so far it has served me well. It only weighs 9oz, has two gear loops, a belay loop, and is easy to put on. It does not have any padding or a haul loop.

Here is a picture:

aHR0cDovL3M3b25kZW1hbmQxLnNjZW5lNy5jb20vaXMvaW1hZ2UvTW9vc2VqYXdNQi8xMDAxOTQxMV96bT8kcHJvZHVjdDQ3NSQ=

I have the Camp XLH95 too. I used it on the West ridge of Prusik Peak and was worried about taking a lead fall on it, but rapped off it just fine. Now I use the BD Alpine Bod.

The Camp harness was perfect for Shuksan last weekend. I wouldn't use it for anything more than a glaicer harness.

I liked the Petzl Adjama too but found that it just didn't fit me very well. I posted a review of it here: http://www.summitpostgear.com/gear/1177/adjama.html

I'm totally loving the Black Diamond Diva now though: http://www.summitpostgear.com/gear/3108/black-diamond-diva.html

It's super light and incredibly comfortable. I haven't worn it with a pack yet but I expect that the gear loops might not work too well with a hip belt so I'll probably cut them off and rig something up with webbing.

They make a men's version called the "Phoenix." My climbing partner just bought one and loves it.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at the Mammut Alpine Light and the Trango Mountain. I'd like to be able to use it on moderate rock climbs (along with easy glacier climbs), stuff that is mostly running belays and no hanging belays. Any experience with either of these in this type of use? Opinions?

So I'm lookin at that thing... my harness weighs 14 ounces, that's 4 ounces more. 4 ounces of padding that means it won't kill me at a hanging belay. I use this harness for almost all the climbing I do. Do you really care about shaving off that 4 ounces?

I realize that true adherence to the light-and-fast mentality means reducing the weight of everything you can. But at some point I think it turns into pointless gear dorkery and a waste of time and money. Maybe you're going light on each trip, but your gear bin at home is getting pretty heavy.

You could make a diaper harness out of 9/16ths webbing.

except that a double 9/16th sling (which isn't even long enough for a diaper harness on a guy my size) weighs 3 oz... you'd save .3 oz over the camp; if you are thin enough to get buy with just a double...

of course its much cheaper than the camp harness.