[TR] Colchuk Peak - North Ridge 6/2/2007

kevino

Trip: Colchuk Peak - North Ridge

Date: 6/2/2007

Trip Report:

Our original plan was to do the NBC on Colchuck, however neither of us had done this route nor paid attention to the guidebook and started heading up the mountain too soon. (aka we're dumb :lmao:) Our route kind of looked like this:

n39207427_30851887_3356.jpg

Don't really know if its proper to call it the North Ridge but thats what seemed to climb for the most part.

Started with steep snow climb up to this like rock face, which we soloed:

n39207427_30851866_5058.jpg

This took us up to the ridge line, where we traversed on rock ramps as far as we could. Eventually, we had to drop of the ridge and climb more snow and ice fields. Before we knew it we had placed ourselves on the edge of a cliff below the upper couloir of the NBC route. So we climbed so more rock stuff, no harder than 5.5ish with some great exposure until we finally got back on route.

n39207427_30851871_5592.jpg

By the time we had gotten to the upper couloir the snow was very wet and shitty, leaving us waist deep for the much of the climb and causing small avalanches. Eventually we summited - much later than planed.

n39207427_30851882_7235.jpg

Rather than continuing on the Prusik like we had orignally planned we just headed down completely exhuasted from making up our own route. Still it was great weather and fun day.

n39207427_30851886_8563.jpg

Gear Notes:

Mosquito repellent. We got eaten alive on the hike down and at the TH.

Approach Notes:

No comment.

Edited by kevino

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goatboy - If I didn't have overnight stuff and the upper snowfields hadn't been in the sun ALL day, then I bet the route would be much better. We followed some old footprints onto and through the ridge (kind of) so obviously its not THAT bad.

Kat - Take matt cook and his truck hostage and go climbing.

Craig - I hate you.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice work man!!

Don't listen to Craig. He and Kat and I once climbed a west face instead of south on accident. And then spent 10 hours desencing and reascending the wrong drainage.

Good times

Alex Mineev and I once climbed the wrong peak -- we climbed the south ridge of South Ingalls Peak, rather than North Ingalls, the proper one, and I couldn't figure out why it was so easy.