Permits for Whitney and the Sierras

Toast

I'm leaving on a trip to the Sierras tomorrow. My understanding is Whitney permits are gone. Anybody know whether California has a daily lottery or makes available a handful of overnight permits similar to what we do here in Washington?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitney permits are NOT all gone-it depends on the date. June permits are mostly gone, but as of 5/23, there were overnight permits available for the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. Sometimes there are cancellations last minute as well. When I went up Whitney a few years back (it was early in the season-April), I spent the night in the interagency parking lot in my car to be first in line to pick up a permit.

Get on the horn to the wilderness permit office 760-873-2483

Inyo NF Whitney Permit

If I remember correctly you can get walk-in permits as early as 11am the day before. There's a good chance you'll get one if you're there at 11. I've been in there twice and got permits both times this way. Both times they were reportedly 'sold out' before I showed up. If SFD is right you can just reserve one now which is even easier.

Again, if memory serves me correctly, no matter what route you do, you're still in the 'Mount Whitney Zone' (this includes many routes on Russell as well) which means you enter a lottery to get any remaining permits (The MW-trail is a different story, DONT descend this way w/o permit...better yet, stay as far away as possible lest you feel like you've been transported a few hundred miles south to the tourist infested mecca that is disney land). However, if there are only a hand-full of people there, you'll have a good shot at getting them. Have fun!

If I remember correctly you can get walk-in permits as early as 11am the day before. There's a good chance you'll get one if you're there at 11. I've been in there twice and got permits both times this way. Both times they were reportedly 'sold out' before I showed up. If SFD is right you can just reserve one now which is even easier.

Again, if memory serves me correctly, no matter what route you do, you're still in the 'Mount Whitney Zone' (this includes many routes on Russell as well) which means you enter a lottery to get any remaining permits (The MW-trail is a different story, DONT descend this way w/o permit...better yet, stay as far away as possible lest you feel like you've been transported a few hundred miles south to the tourist infested mecca that is disney land). However, if there are only a hand-full of people there, you'll have a good shot at getting them. Have fun!

I looked into doing the Whitney Trail a few years ago. My recollection was that the lottery system only applied to it, not the Mountaineers route which requires a permit and registration, but has no lottery/reservations. If that's changed, it sucks.

This is from their website (slow morning today). The lottery is only in February. After that, it's standard reservations (made at least 2 days proir) or walk-in...

Can I still make a reservation if I missed the lottery? Yes, if space is available, you can still reserve a wilderness permit. When applying in April or later, for space leftover after the lottery, use the standard Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permit Application. These post-lottery applications are accepted by telephone, fax or mail. If space is available, permits can be reserved up to two (2) days before your trip entry date. For example, if you plan to enter the wilderness on Friday, we will stop taking reservations for that day at the close of business on Wednesday. If time does not allow us to mail out a confirmation letter, we will provide you information for how to pick up your permit over the phone or by fax. If you are applying a week or less before your trip date, we recommend that you do not apply by mail.

Are there walk in permits for Mt. Whitney? The quota space for the Main Mt. Whitney trail is 100% reservable. Space is not saved or set aside for walk-in permits, however cancellations and any space that was not filled by reservations will be available to be picked up in person at the Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center, south of Lone Pine. There is no fee for these unreserved permits that will be issued starting at 11 am the day before the entry date. Additionally, any permits that have been reserved, but are not confirmed or picked up will be cancelled and made available to other parties on a walk-in basis.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/whitneylottery.shtml

This is from their website (slow morning today). The lottery is only in February. After that, it's standard reservations (made at least 2 days proir) or walk-in...

Can I still make a reservation if I missed the lottery? Yes, if space is available, you can still reserve a wilderness permit. When applying in April or later, for space leftover after the lottery, use the standard Inyo National Forest Wilderness Permit Application. These post-lottery applications are accepted by telephone, fax or mail. If space is available, permits can be reserved up to two (2) days before your trip entry date. For example, if you plan to enter the wilderness on Friday, we will stop taking reservations for that day at the close of business on Wednesday. If time does not allow us to mail out a confirmation letter, we will provide you information for how to pick up your permit over the phone or by fax. If you are applying a week or less before your trip date, we recommend that you do not apply by mail.

Are there walk in permits for Mt. Whitney? The quota space for the Main Mt. Whitney trail is 100% reservable. Space is not saved or set aside for walk-in permits, however cancellations and any space that was not filled by reservations will be available to be picked up in person at the Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center, south of Lone Pine. There is no fee for these unreserved permits that will be issued starting at 11 am the day before the entry date. Additionally, any permits that have been reserved, but are not confirmed or picked up will be cancelled and made available to other parties on a walk-in basis.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/whitneylottery.shtml

Alpaholic, your quotes are only relevant for the Whitney Trail corridor, and is handled seperately from the North Fork of Lone Pine Creek (which accesses the east face of Whitney, the east, north, and west faces of russel, and Keeler and Crook needles).

There is the possiblitity of getting a walki- in permit for the climber's side of Whitney. You;d be better off calling ahead, tell them very specifically what your trying to do, and finding out for yourself.

P.S. An alternative campsite (not very suitable for Whitney climbs) is at Alpine Lake, for climbs of the Fishhook arete, mithral, etc.

P.S.S. sorry about the mispelling, but iMac's suck.