Melakwa Lake Study

i_like_sun

So, this is actually an extremely funny story because I personally know THREE, yes THREE, complete and utter NAVIGATIONAL MORONS that got lost up there several years ago in the snow, and kept warm by sleeping on a fire........ Did I say morons already???? You know who you are!

Melakwa Lake Study

King County Search and Rescue is conducting a study to explore why hikers

and snowshoers often get lost at the Melakwa Lake junction on the Denny

Creek Trail:

"There is a history of hikers unintentionally turning to the west when

hiking near Melakwa Lake; to them this turn feels very natural at the

terminus of the Denny Creek Trail near Snoqualmie Pass. Such hikers tend to

get caught in the Pratt River drainage a difficult and strenuous cross

country hike. In cold weather there is an extremely high risk of

hypothermia.

What are we seeking? To find people who have experienced this confusion

while in the Melakwa Lake area. We suspect that for every one that becomes

a search mission, there are likely dozens who start going the wrong way but

correct themselves before it becomes an official search. We'd like to talk

to these people to learn more about what happened..."

"...How can they contact us? Email Officer Jon Wartes, King Co. Sheriff's

Office, at jon.wartes@metrokc.gov. Provide your name and an evening phone

number. A search and rescue volunteer will call you to obtain more

information. Some people will later be asked to return with us to Melakwa

Lake to re-create, if possible, the early part of their experience.

The goals are to identify the source of this confusion, work with the U.S.

Forest Service to correct it, and to prevent future search missions."

The best part is that they want the "hikers" (morons) to return to this area and "re-create" their plight. So, which part should my morons portray? How about the scene where (one moron in particular) pulled out his "emergency space blanket", while the other two morons attacked him vehemently fighting like dogs for a torn up slice of tin foil! Or what about the scene when they do finally scratch their way out, only to show up at some poor bastard's house begging like orphans for pancakes! - Which they pulled off by the way.

Anyone else been screwed by Melakwa Lake????

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, though, I just think that Melakwa Lake gets more than its fair share of inexperienced hikers. Back when my kids were young I'd bring them along on hikes and often as we were returning, I'd stop at trail junctions and ask my daughter which way we should go to return to the car. She almost invariable chose the wrong way! (my son didn't have the same problem) I'd have to tell her, "nope, it's the other way!".

After a few of those experiences, immediately after passing a junction on the way out, I'd turn her around, point to the left or right tell her, "look, that's the way we have to go on the way back, remember!"

In all seriousness, though, I just think that Melakwa Lake gets more than its fair share of inexperienced hikers. Back when my kids were young I'd bring them along on hikes and often as we were returning, I'd stop at trail junctions and ask my daughter which way we should go to return to the car. She almost invariable chose the wrong way! (my son didn't have the same problem) I'd have to tell her, "nope, it's the other way!".

After a few of those experiences, immediately after passing a junction on the way out, I'd turn her around, point to the left or right tell her, "look, that's the way we have to go on the way back, remember!"

Do you think there are real differences between men's and women's directional skills?

Ok, ok. Here's the story of my sordid trip with my navigational moron buddies:

http://faculty.washington.edu/karpoff/personal/stories/Mind_matter.html .

In our defense ... nah, forget it. There is no defense. Next time I'm taking directions from Catbirdseat's daughter. It won't be any worse.

(Seriously, I began doing that with my kids too when they were young. It's a great idea. My favorite time of year for navigating with them was when spring snow still covered the trails. That way they could guide us while holding the compass and trying to figure out the local terrain. I had to help them with the map, however.)

Hmm...wish I would have read this thread before last weekend! We just trudged up the Melakwa Lake trail last Saturday and had some fun naviguessing the snow-covered portions (okay just kidding, we did use our map and compass). I can definitely see why it deserves the Bermuda triangle moniker. We didn't make it to the lake, but we did make it to the pass (blanking on the name right now). It was a lot of fun, but a few lessons learned: (1) be a good navigator, (2) maybe it's not the best hike to take your inexperienced friend who just moved from the East coast and wants to do more outdoor stuff. ;)

I believe the steps in avoiding getting lots are these:

1) Realizing it is possible to get lost.

2) Understanding there are potentially very bad consequences from getting lost.

3) Taking the time and effort to avoid getting lost.

Easier said than done. Especially when you are a pig headed moron surrounded by pig headed morons!

I remember [almost] getting lost two years ago. We did Kaleetan, but had a super lazy late start and came down in the dark. Coming away from Melakwa and to the pass, I remember wanting to go DOWN, to the right. It was then that I recalled this story (my dad is one of the morons) and forced my partner and I to go LEFT and UP! "Seriously doood, I think its this way" "NO, doood, its this way!" "dooood.......... no way...." "yeah doood, way"