4 season tent

needtoclimb

There are not that many options if you are tall. I am 6'5" and got the ID MK3. It is just long enough. I am inches from physically touching the walls. Sleeping bad does. I can and have slept two tall people in that tent. Very tight but doable. At one point we even had all our gear in it. I love the tent only 2 trips in it but they were horrible weather contidions.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

These are big sellers because people are scared of condensation in their tents. I took an excellent glacier climbing intro course this past summer (being new to snowy areas of the country), and they emphasized this to me. You will also read it emphasized in FoTH. Finally, salespersons at REI will preach this as well. It is likely good advice in many cases. If you were camping out in muggy conditions where it was gonna be hot, buggy, and rainy, I think a double wall would be a good way to go. Probably not completely necessary in the mountains.

Compared with the additional weight, not worth the tradeoff to most folks compared with just being a little careful of how you manage the condensation (e.g. a washcloth or something).

Finally, I think a lot of people (such as myself early on) buy tents wanting 'worst case scenario' performance, rather than asking themselves 'what am I most likely to be encountering, and am I willing to make a small occasional comfort tradeoff for a big weight savings'.

After futzing with a heavy double wall, and more or less being called an idiot on this board for doing so, I sold it and just got an Eldo. Seems to me that if you only want one tent to use in the mountains for trips that aren't expedition-like in nature, this fits the bill.

Edited by jared_j